Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XXXV mix
My biggest struggle for this one were the vocals coming with very different volumes, which I had to fix, and also their muddiness. I decided to push them towards the 6khz and temper the lower side. I didn't manage to blend them very well with the rest of the music.

For the guitars I made a duplicate channel with only the 'chuggy' part of the spectrum so I could keep control over it all through different modifications and enhance the dynamics. I also used mid side compression to carve a place for the vocals to sit in and widen up the stereo.

For the drums, I mostly cleaned stuff, the toms especially were sounding strange. There was a lot of bleeding in all chanels so I mostly used gates, or compressors to get rid of that, when I didn't delete track sections by myself (toms).

For side chain compression, the kick slices the bass, the kick+snare slice the guitars, and the vocals slice the guitars too.

I wasn't too happy until I apply parallel comp on the master bas and then magic happened.

I still think the vocals don't blend well, there's like a constant bar of mids without dynamics hidden in the spectrum, and also the cymbals are making a bit mess of a sound that I couldn't tame. well...

.mp3    headwound harry 191224.mp3 --  (Download: 5.08 MB)

I redid it and experimented with top-down mixing. As a result everything is super compressed and loud. Unfortunately the guitars have eaten the drums and bass.

I can't get over those vocals with all the different stems, having different styles of singing and different volumes. They're really hard to work with and I'm still not content about what I did with them.

It was fun to work in reverse for once, and see everything come in place quickly, but then small details become event harder to identify and balance. And the guitars ate the drums... oops.

.mp3    headwound harry 191231_3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.97 MB)