Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelations
Here is my take on this track. Real cool mixing something that's been recorded on real tape. No need to add any tape saturation, but loved using tape slap. Just enough for some space, Enjoy

.mp3    Revelations.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

(12-11-2013, 03:06 PM)Tomi Te Taite Wrote: Here is my take on this track. Real cool mixing something that's been recorded on real tape. No need to add any tape saturation, but loved using tape slap. Just enough for some space, Enjoy

Ooh, I LIKE this! Reminds me of some of the great old rock I used to have on 8-track except without the noise and the high frequency rolloff! Wink

You did some AMAZING stuff with this. I've been having a bit of a... discussion with The Metallurgist regarding his mix, which I think is too bright, and mine, which he thinks is too dark. During our discussion I allowed as to how the best sounding mix would probably be somewhere in between the brightness of his and the darkness of mine; your mix is EXACTLY what I was talking about. You brightened it up nicely without going overboard, still maintaining that nice full 70s rock feel. AND you managed to do some pretty awesome things with that organ! For me, it was just getting on my nerves to I kinda buried it. Somehow you managed to make it sound good to my ears! It has a nice stereo spread and sounds good out front like that!

My only complaints are the vocals are just a TOUCH too bright (pull back maybe 1 dB on any EQ boost you have in the upper midrange on the vocals), the drum sound is just a wee bit too "modern pop" sounding for this song IMHO (particularly the compression on the snare), and the bongos need to come up a bit; they tend to get lost in the shuffle. Oh, and it seems to cut off just a teeny bit abruptly at the end.

Other than that, though, particularly in overall tonality, I feel this mix is better than even my own. Well done! Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
@Tomi, yo!

good attempt. downmixing this to mono causes all sorts of train wreaks however, which really reveals the challenges "everyone" is having with this material and this mix is no exception. anyone can pan muddy content out to the sides and make it sound lush in stereo, but we aren't all sitting in the sweet spot (so we get to hear the accumulated impact of both speakers, yeah?).

the lead guitar's source material has far too much frequency content in the low/low-mids, for example, which has to be addressed. but this is just one example...the bass guitar also adds to the clutter in this range in a dramatic fashion. the bass guitar is also a problem - it doesn't sound like a bass guitar.

personally, i didn't think this song specifically warranted tape-slap and i found it a distraction, getting in the way with the vocal. it felt like you put it there for something to do, not as something that would complement the delivery? but that's a subjective assessment, which perhaps isn't important to you. i thought the vocal was set back a bit in the mix and actually needed some presence to bring it forward a touch, however care with the sibilance issues related to the tracking can be a challenge - dealing with this immediately has a negative impact on the vocal's depth too.

fixing the low-mid congestion should be a priority, then build the mix onwards once you've addressed it as best you can, would be my approach here.

i thought the drums were coming along quite nicely. i too found the snare a bit up-front in this specific performance, however you did a nice job making it cut through the mix. the cymbals were a bit...sizzly and lacking definition for me here, but they are also difficult because the ride want's to keep poking in your face. but this can be fixed too.

are you going to have another bash at it?

@pedalingprince:
what's so amazing about fatiguing mud and a highly congested low/low-mid range?

cheers gang :)
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hey this is a great version, nice clean up of the tracks. I think the snare is a bit too hi lvl, sounds like a sample and not a part of the kit. just a little down would balance things a lot. Or did you use a sample Big Grin
Guitars and organ sounds great.
The bas could use a bit more meat i think, maybe add a bit o distortion to it if you dont want it higher lvl.
The kick could come up a dB or so, I feel it more than i hear it now.
Small suggestions based mostly on personal preference.
I think you did a great job o cleanin this up.
And the vocals I agree are loud enough, but vocal lvl is a very personal preference ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order