Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scream baby yeah
Now he's gone completely nuts lol.
Edit V2: Removed the flanger on the bass & added some subharmonics to it, changed the drum compression a bit and fixed the verse vocal & solo guitar Levels.

.mp3    never_ebb_but_flow.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

.mp3    never_ebb_but_flow_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
It feels pretty good. It certainly is in the spirit of the song. I'm not a fan of the panning bass. It's a bit distracting. I think the verse vocals could be more up front and in focus. At least it felt that way in the second verse. Maybe there's just more going on in the mix then. (Listening again I think it could also be more in front in the 1st V too.). The solo comes down in intensity. It could match the previous chorus in energy.
Good job.
(13-12-2019, 05:52 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels pretty good. It certainly is in the spirit of the song. I'm not a fan of the panning bass. It's a bit distracting. I think the verse vocals could be more up front and in focus. At least it felt that way in the second verse. Maybe there's just more going on in the mix then. (Listening again I think it could also be more in front in the 1st V too.). The solo comes down in intensity. It could match the previous chorus in energy.
Good job.

Good Point with the bass, that was more accidental. I first didn't even notice it moving lol. I put a flanger on it to make it bigger and also put all the lfo's to minimum, but obviously the panning was still noticable.
The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
Thomas,
I like your balances and I can sense your approach on the arrangement. Listening the V2, my first impression though was that the entire mix sounded somewhat muffled, like there was a cloak over it robing it of good deal of presence my ears were searching for. I then threw your mix up on my big and loud monitors expecting my reaction to change, but it did not. Because there is so much energy in the voices and guitars I understand dodging the upper mids in those would solve the harshness, but it feels like you did the same to the drums and bass to accommodate the softened voice and guitar. While it makes room for them, it feels like everything else is buried in a too soft wash. It lost the excitement in the voicings the artist chose. My ear was also getting pulled significantly to the left by your hi-hat. It was a bit distracting but the hat sounds pretty good, so...

Certainly a very tough piece and a good go at it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]