Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo: Never Ebb But Flow
So.... I hope this is my contest version and I promise myself that I will not change it ( maybe tomorrow...Wink). I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/image.../image.gif

Thumbnail(s)

Dell,
Everything is there and your approach is very listenable. I like your change from verse to chorus. Drums are solid. Intro and acoustics are also nicely stated.
I thought there were some variations between the vocal balances from chorus to chorus and also felt the 3rd and 4th background harmonies were getting lost in a thicket of voices and guitar wall. I might have thinned them out a bit so they could cut better against the wall without being too loud. I also thought your reverb has a bit of a granular nature and may have benefited from a longer, more diffuse decay with some essential pre-delay.

Those last things, of course, are purely subjective. This song is complex in it's tonal balance more than most. Lots of competition for limited bandwidth and all vital to the content, context and energy of the song. And there is ALOT of energy. I am glad that for me, this song is behind me. Not sure what I learned yet from this difficult get and thruthfully I think everyone who attacked this song struggled in some measure with this issue.

With that being said, I like what you've done and look forward the hearing David's decision.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(24-12-2019, 02:46 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Dell,
Everything is there and your approach is very listenable. I like your change from verse to chorus. Drums are solid. Intro and acoustics are also nicely stated.
I thought there were some variations between the vocal balances from chorus to chorus and also felt the 3rd and 4th background harmonies were getting lost in a thicket of voices and guitar wall. I might have thinned them out a bit so they could cut better against the wall without being too loud. I also thought your reverb has a bit of a granular nature and may have benefited from a longer, more diffuse decay with some essential pre-delay.

Those last things, of course, are purely subjective. This song is complex in it's tonal balance more than most. Lots of competition for limited bandwidth and all vital to the content, context and energy of the song. And there is ALOT of energy. I am glad that for me, this song is behind me. Not sure what I learned yet from this difficult get and thruthfully I think everyone who attacked this song struggled in some measure with this issue.

With that being said, I like what you've done and look forward the hearing David's decision.

Hey Mitc. YES, I am glad that I made the final contest bounce, but this song isn't behind me yet^^. One of my main problems was the vocals reverb. During my three mixing sessions I tried almost everything but never was satisfied... Trying to find the right positions and levels of all these guitars and vocals in every situation was the hardest part. As you said I guess most of us were struggling the same way. Anyway it's David's decision. Thank you Sir for listening and I wish you a merry Christmas.
boas misturas
cumprimentos