Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Ebb But Flow - Beginner Mix
First time posting one of practice mixes on the internet for me. This one made me realize how important keeping organized is. I had to do a lot of 'where is that sound coming from' hunting around in the session Tongue

I'd love to get some advice from you guys on it!

.mp3    Bounce.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

That's a very good job for a beginner! Nice choice for snare drum. I assume you used samples right, then I would suggest you look into some triggering mistakes because I hear plenty where it wasn't triggered (either that or you used a gate and didn't set the threshold right). Also try bringing up the snare a little bit in the chorus either by volume or some high shelf EQ. It sits nicely in the verse (with some cool rock'n'roll delays), but kinda gets buried a little bit in the chorus. And according to the mix notes given by David Tyo, I suggest you bring down the guitar slides. He says they were just for complementing the vocals. Speaking of vocals, the vocals in the chorus need a little bit more space to fit in the mix, and accentuate their energy. I my mix I started with some fast delay with high feedback/revisions, and then add a touch of plate. Hopefully that sparks some ideas. Have fun mixing, and check out my mix, too!
Those 'records' you are talking of take the form of sub-groups for me. This song took me three days just to get the relevant parts sub-grouped!

Your mix is pretty good. One note, if you are participating in the contest I don't believe you can use samples.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-12-2019, 05:24 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Those 'records' you are talking of take the form of sub-groups for me. This song took me three days just to get the relevant parts sub-grouped!

Your mix is pretty good. One note, if you are participating in the contest I don't believe you can use samples.
Drum samples? You can use them. He says "Drum samples are encouraged, but please be sure to keep it believable."
http://www.davidtyo.com/images/DavidTyo-...-Notes.pdf
(08-12-2019, 05:54 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 05:24 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Those 'records' you are talking of take the form of sub-groups for me. This song took me three days just to get the relevant parts sub-grouped!

Drum samples? You can use them. He says "Drum samples are encouraged, but please be sure to keep it believable."

Sorry. I stand corrected.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-12-2019, 06:28 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 05:54 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:

Sorry. I stand corrected.
I feel vindicated and empowered.