Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruba Chonta - voelund
That rumba and me took a loong time to be friends.
I just couldnt make sense out o the raw tracks, and I had this voice in my head saying "when Miles Davis can have someone fiddle with his raw tapes and repeat them, then its ok for you to do somthin similar to this one"
I didnt repat anythin but the sax part, only 2 saxes actually, which I muted from the last sequence, it made a not very pleasant sound havin the same sax double the part, at least to my ears - so I found use for it other places in the arrangement.
I agree with Artbas, doublin the percussion part cunono 2 screams solo, so that was the first one I helped, then little drum solo, then little guitar, mutin marimba to make a call reply in the beginning, introducing a fade of the guitar part and all others suddenly rushing tempo, then the bas solo and the finale.
lso muted percussion/hihat snare to make more life to arrangement. As it were evrybody played all the time and its hard to keep listeners attention that way, if the listener is me that is ...
Now Im happy and maybe you will tell me if i screwed up or added to the arrangement, because I am in no state to be the judge of that Big Grin

.mp3    Rumba Chonta 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi!
After the sax part in the beginning I feel the cut... percussion need some hi pass filtering (cut under 100 Hz or even more)... I like the idea to use that sax part in the whole arrangement...keep the good thing Wink All best
I think what you hear is that kick drum kinda thing I had to make big to make the drums whole, to my ears.
Ah now I get the idea - it must be that handdrum kinda thing. Ok thx I will look into that.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi,

seems like you've put a lot of work into it. I had to listen to it twice, to make sense of your choices - although (or because of?) being somewhat familiar with the tracks. I am not sure if all of your choices work, but they speak of vision.

First of all, there seems to be a bad edit at around 0:30. This might be a drum beat but it sounds like a bad edit.

I also think that the delay on the marimba creates a weird sound.

Now to the not so technical stuff and my biggest issue:
For me it is hard to get into the groove at the beginning. I think that at least the shaker should be there from the beginning. This would on the one hand help the groove but would leave you with snare/hihat for the sax part. You might even mute the shaker from time to time , just as you did now. But I want to be drawn into this music and start to move my hips (at least after a few rum like flyrecords recommends). I am also not convinced that you need to be able to hear every single drum on its own (but well executed on your end).

You've done a good job bringing different stuff to the front without losing emotional impact. The "turnaround" you've created with that sax part seems to work and offers the much needed colour, it seems to be slightly out of time from time to time (erm, well...) though. Especially the second half of it.
But: To me the end has lost some of it's impact - but that is something you can only tell if you know it in a different version, which makes me a pretty poor judge on this.

Long story short: You've created a very good mix with some interesting and at least fresh arrangement choices.

Cheers
Artbass
Boys as musical experiment is good, the editions of the saxes , the percussion muting notes , but do not think this mix is ​​welcome in Colombia . technical level has serious flaws editing and tempo.
has no " flavor " , maybe a problem of latitudes and longitudes , you can speak from the musical, and have authority to do so , one can speak from the technician , and have authority to do so , but what I am sure is that if you have not lived and felt, never will be able to know what is the "flavor " is like putting a Celtic music mix American technician , could surely do very well, but never will understand through which the "thing" .

hopefully understand what I meant .

in my country there is a saying that says " do not seek fifth leg cat , because it has only four "

I hope this forum will hang more Latin music , so they can practice more and someday understand what I say humbly , so as I learn its rhythms , that you learn from mine .

from Latin America

"hasta la victoria, siempre "

Sergio
I agree with you Sergio. I remember when I mixed Uncle Dad's 'who I am', a country music song, I was told that that mix could be ok for a regular pop song and that I should learn that country music should have an entirely different treatment. I paid attention to the instructions and more or less it started sounded more "country".

So I guess that this is the same. Latin music is very different: trumpets sound different, percussion sound different and that's something that should be learned. And here we are: at the right place to learn! So it is good not only to have ears for instruments and frequencies, but also to have ears to people's words... especially those with good knowledge about a style or technique!
mixing since April 2013
I appreciate the comments. And I know a 5 legged cat isnt an ordinary sight, but a sheep with 2 heads have been seen and i know of other strange phenomens, one should think is impossible. It isnt. It just isnt known yet ...

Anyway: I agree about the shaker in intro. Its easy to unmute. I investigated the click thing and its the handdrum and bas drum not agree on a downbeat, the basdrum won.

I dont understand what wrong with muting notes on the marimba in places.

If its the case that tradition is evrybody play all the time, then I get it, I just try to make this understandable for a man livin in a country where the frost is on the gras in the mornin. I guess the latitude/longitude could be the answer to the question.

I dont do this to offend anybody, I do it to have fun and learn. And Im willing to learn

But you have to tell me what to do then Big Grin
(11-11-2013, 07:47 PM)Voelund Wrote: I appreciate the comments. And I know a 5 legged cat isnt an ordinary sight, but a sheep with 2 heads have been seen and i know of other strange phenomens, one should think is impossible. It isnt. It just isnt known yet ...

Anyway: I agree about the shaker in intro. Its easy to unmute. I investigated the click thing and its the handdrum and bas drum not agree on a downbeat, the basdrum won.

I dont understand what wrong with muting notes on the marimba in places.

If its the case that tradition is evrybody play all the time, then I get it, I just try to make this understandable for a man livin in a country where the frost is on the gras in the mornin. I guess the latitude/longitude could be the answer to the question.

I dont do this to offend anybody, I do it to have fun and learn. And Im willing to learn

But you have to tell me what to do then Big Grin

my dear friend from cold latitudes , it was not my intention to offend you , I just wanted that these technical discussions , musical and why not philosophical . are given for completion .
I never thought I had much repercussion , the fact that they do not understand that this type of music is just as it is , without rhyme or reason , no head , no intro , no outro , so touching , listening well and feels well , nothing more . If someone from elsewhere, did a bad mix of rock , sure to jump all revile or in your case to help you understand the style . is what I do in this case chonta rumba , and it took some haughtily , as if one were an inferior to you. and it is not so I think that I have a lot more to be Latino authority having studied music and Latin styles , to say what is right and what is wrong. If you did not understand well , you will lose a good opportunity to learn as well as I take this here .

I hope no offense, and hope I have not offended anyone , I'm here , for consultation as needed.

With affection and respect

Sergio

I may get what youre tryin to make google tranlate tell me :-)
This music is as it is. Its not intended for editin, thought or anything but to be heard and loved.

Ok - I think I get your message.

Thank you, and i would do the same if someone put a hiphop beat over one old danish folk song (well somebody did that allready but they are not here on this forum Big Grin )

Thank you Sergio - you made it clear.