Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow'
Late to the party, with a back door entrance as usual.Tongue
This is just fairly straight forward balance mix. There is some reverb, but no effects, shinys or fancys yet. The drums are a bit buried, but thats the sound I've gone for. My big guitars are probably too big and I think the pianos getting a bit lost through the verses. Just thought I would get something posted. If I don't do it now it won't happen. Time poor as usual not to mention the festivities that come around this time of year.Big Grin
Thanks for listening, any thoughts moving forward very much appreciated.

Update 22-12-20 Mix#2 has been unveiled! Not really, but I have lifted the blanket off it. Thanks Roy!Big Grin My ears hurt now.

.mp3    DavidTyo_NeverEbbButFlow_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

.mp3    DavidTyo_NeverEbbButFlow_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

.mp3    DavidTyo_NeverEbbButFlow#Dangerous#2HOT.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Hi Dave hope all is well, i hear your part of the world is experiencing some very hot temperatures! lets hope it dose not get too serious,now to your mix,to get straight to the point all you have said above are correct so you know what your mix needs to be done,very good start.
Reaper user
Yeah, Dave, I know Australia is a big place but still I know your country is going through a lot right now. I wish you and yours the best. Even if fires aren't an issue for you, though they may be, (I'm too lazy to call up a map right now) I know the heat is. Be well.

Pleasantries aside, yeah, this mix needs work as you are probably aware. The piano is more than fine in the verses. Maybe it's the mix or my earbuds but there feels like a blanket over the mix. And I think part of that is a reaction to the arrangement. There are elements that are harsh and piercing and I think people compensate the whole mix for those elements. That might not be what's happening here but it's a thought I've had lately listening to other mixes.

The snare is the only thing that feels "wrong". There are overtones to my ear that take all my attention. Everything else feels kinda just there.
I think this is one of those mixes where one has to throw out what they've learned and build up a kick ass rhythm section, then the vocals and leads and slides. Then all the BS. Maybe not for you but just in general.

The balances feel fine. The meal is cooked well. The steak is a fine medium rare. But under-seasoned. There are salty bits on the plate but the focus for most people seems to be on those bits.

Sorry to pontificate.
(21-12-2019, 12:41 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave hope all is well, i hear your part of the world is experiencing some very hot temperatures! lets hope it dose not get too serious,now to your mix,to get straight to the point all you have said above are correct so you know what your mix needs to be done,very good start.

Yes, we are cooking down here at the moment and summers just started, not to mention that half the country's on fire! But I'm doing well. Thank you for your submissions sir. I will make some alterations.Big Grin

(21-12-2019, 02:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Yeah, Dave, I know Australia is a big place but still I know your country is going through a lot right now. I wish you and yours the best. Even if fires aren't an issue for you, though they may be, (I'm too lazy to call up a map right now) I know the heat is. Be well.

Thanks Roy, fires aren't a problem for me at the moment thankfully. I'm in the south, (Gippsland in Victoria) and our fire season is usually still a few weeks away, although this is very random and unpredictable in this current climate.

(21-12-2019, 02:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Pleasantries aside, yeah, this mix needs work as you are probably aware. The piano is more than fine in the verses. Maybe it's the mix or my earbuds but there feels like a blanket over the mix. And I think part of that is a reaction to the arrangement. There are elements that are harsh and piercing and I think people compensate the whole mix for those elements. That might not be what's happening here but it's a thought I've had lately listening to other mixes.
Very true Roy. I thinks that whats happening here, complete with ear fatigue!

(21-12-2019, 02:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The snare is the only thing that feels "wrong". There are overtones to my ear that take all my attention. Everything else feels kinda just there.
I think this is one of those mixes where one has to throw out what they've learned and build up a kick ass rhythm section, then the vocals and leads and slides. Then all the BS. Maybe not for you but just in general.

Time to push things I think. Yes the snare is a bit honky and rounded. Most I my snare sound is coming from the overheads which I clamped quite heavily. I need to rework my approach here.

(21-12-2019, 02:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The balances feel fine. The meal is cooked well. The steak is a fine medium rare. But under-seasoned. There are salty bits on the plate but the focus for most people seems to be on those bits.

Sorry to pontificate.

This last statement, has more meaning in the scheme of things and any technical jargon would. Lets hope I don't over season it and spoil the flavour!
Thank you for your input. Very helpful.Big Grin
Having listened to both versions, the second one is clearer and polished. Sounds nice!

My only nitpick would be the hi-hat/cymbals which are at times a bit loud and seem to come from the center.

Great mix though!

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hi Dave,
Nice balanced Mix as usual sounds great on my monitors love the intro .
On my monitor thinking the bass guitar could come up touch around the 80hz area and the snare maybe a db less papery sound around the 900-1.5k area.
cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(23-12-2019, 10:09 AM)LukasL Wrote: Having listened to both versions, the second one is clearer and polished. Sounds nice!

My only nitpick would be the hi-hat/cymbals which are at times a bit loud and seem to come from the center.

Great mix though!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks Lukas. I tend to go with mono drums quite a bit when guitars are out wide. I do agree that the cymbals could do with some extra taming at times. Some extra width could be useful also. I'll have to look into it.

Thank you.
(24-12-2019, 11:07 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave,
Nice balanced Mix as usual sounds great on my monitors love the intro .
On my monitor thinking the bass guitar could come up touch around the 80hz area and the snare maybe a db less papery sound around the 900-1.5k area.
cheers Big Grin

Hi Don,
Nice to hear from you.Big Grin
I'll have to look into those issues before my next pass. Thank you.