Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The So So Glos: 'Emergency'
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
The So So Glos: 'Emergency'
ouffffff!! this song has taken me a while to make it sound 'decent'. I've mixed it three times because the first two sounded awful and I tried to fix them on my own without any possitive result.

This is the third try. I still don't like it much but it may be because I'm oversaturated with the song.

What do you think? Confused

.mp3   So So Glos - Emergency.mp3 --  (Download: 5.17 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: The So So Glos: 'Emergency'
I think you're quite near. This song's mix should be dirty, and it is.

I feel the vocals is just right now. If you plan to change anything, check that the changes work also in context of vocals

Some overall ideas to check:

You could have little more of the low end (40-80 Hz ?) Kick or bass of both, I don't know? But if you want this mix to be more retro, then leave it as it is, but cut some high-end.

You could try to open more mid-range (2-5 K) to some instruments. At least more snare in that area could make interesting change in the energy level. That alone could open the overall sound without competing with vocals.

It feels also that you're also lacking some high end. Maybe you cold check some definition to some well chosen instruments above 6 K.

Some specific thins:

Bass has some small "farting" problems. Just listen the very beginning at 0:03

Solo guitar is very low at solo 1:23. Or is it muted? Also in solo, if you listen the crash, you'll notice that it's quite loud, but still the hit is not audible. Maybe you have too quick and hungry compressor attached which eats the transients?

I think that the shakers were quite problematic in this track. THey almost sound as rattling noise caused by a broken wire. Whatever you do with them, try to check that they are musically interesting. Maybe little less, or more mono. I would suggest that check the balance in chorus first without shakers and after that bring them in in small amounts. And if you happen to erase them by accident, I'm sure that most punk music addicts wont be missing them.

Although I made a lot of notes, I still feel that you can easily finnish this mix.
12-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi, Olli! I've tried to fix the problems you pointed out.

What worries me the most is the high end. I always tend to exagerate it and eventually the mix sounds terrible for that reason. Anyway, some things have been changed now thanks to your notes, so I hope that it's better now! Big Grin

.mp3   So So Glos - Emergency.mp3 --  (Download: 5.17 MB)

mixing since April 2013
13-11-2013, 12:48 PM
It's clearly better now.
As you mentioned, there's certainly a problem in high end. The hi-hat is coming through quite ugly and masking everything else. The problem could be the snare track where the hi-hat bleeds badly. I used noise gate on snare. With sidechain so that noise gate listened only for the snap of the snare.
I also cut deeply from overheads around 12 k.
13-11-2013, 05:48 PM
(13-11-2013 12:48 PM)Olli H Wrote:  I used noise gate on snare. With sidechain so that noise gate listened only for the snap of the snare.

I used a gate so I can get rid of most of the bleed there on the snare track, but there's always some hi-hat bleed over there. In Mike's book he mentioned something about expanders that can help you fix this, but I've been trying to use one without success.

Anyway, I'm moving on to another song. I've spent too many days with this one and I need to hear something different! Smile

mixing since April 2013
13-11-2013, 06:27 PM
It's always a good idea to not to dwell too long with one song. On the other hand, I have a bad habbit of processing several songs at the same time. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
13-11-2013, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 07:05 PM by juanjose1967.)
wow, Olli!! you've given me such a good piece of advice and I hadn't noticed it!!! I didn't know what you meant by saying 'I used noise gate on snare with sidechain...' But I've been looking on the internet about sidechain on gates and I think I've discovered a new world!!! This can help me get rid of all that bleed that has been giving me problems in previous mixes!!! thanks a lot!! you're the best!!!

mixing since April 2013
13-11-2013, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 09:16 PM by Olli H.)
Thanks! All the tricks I use I have stolen from big boys. In this case from Ken Lewis (audioschool online). But I'm happy to reshare anything if anybody is interested...

Check the image. Side chain filters away all the highs and lows, and what is left is hopefully just the "snap" from the snare. In the image it happens to be 317-1400 Hz. It doesn't matter at all if it's 500-2000 or 700-1200, and no matter how it sounds, as long as you can found nice signal that carries just the snare hit. So gate hears only that snap, but it processes the full signal. So full snare hit goes through, and after that the gate is closed quite quickly, but not as quickly as it's opened.

With this trick you must have compressor that's very quick. In my case only the free stock plugin could do that with decent sound. And that sound alone can be quite odd, but when it blends with - in this case - snare sound from overheads, it does it's job.

The same trick can be used with both compressor and gate/expander. If your gate/expander doesn't have those sidechain filters, you can do a douple track where you process the signal for you plugins sidechain.

But to give the full credits to Ken Lewis, here's the link to his tutorial where these tricks are explained in detail: http://audioschoolonline.com/product/?lesson=352

Thumbnail(s)

13-11-2013, 09:35 PM
well, you know well how to complete a lesson!! as you say over there: kiitos!!!! (time for me to learn some Finnish!!)

mixing since April 2013
22-11-2013, 06:29 PM
(13-11-2013 09:35 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote:  well, you know well how to complete a lesson!! as you say over there: kiitos!!!! (time for me to learn some Finnish!!)

Tendrias que probar mezclandolo de nuevo ahora ,con mas experiencia se te va a hacer mas facil Juan!!!
Es una pavada este temita....

Sergio

clean first, then mix .....

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: