Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Ebb But Flow
Deleted some duplicate guitars as they just crowded things up too much.

.mp3    Never Ebb But Flow.mp3 --  (Download: 7.32 MB)

Well done! Nicely balanced. Sounds great to my ears. Good use of panning for stereo spacing. Not too screamy or punchy, just right.

Q: I wondered why you panned the lead vocal slightly to the right and the drums to the left in the verse sections. Just curious Wink. Cheers!
I always double the lead vocal (the verse one in this instance) centre one and then the other at Right 20 both have same plugins and sends except the right one which is 5db lower and sent to Eventide Black Hole reverb to give it an extra something. Works for me. The chorus vocals are just panned left and right. Did put BX shred spread on as a last-minute thought to spread things out a bit more - maybe that is causing it to sound a little wider than intended.

Not an easy song to mix.

It feels like most of the energy of the mix is in the mids/upper mids. It kinda works in the louder sections but diminishes the dynamics because all of that energy is already present in the verse/quieter sections. It takes away the excitement of the chorus and the chorus really seems to scream (literally) for those 'exciting' crunchy, edgy frequencies. I do hear or at least feel the BX shred spread and I wonder if that is sucking up some of the low end from the mix. I can hear the bass clearly and want some more kick. Is the BX shred spread on everything? Is there and option to set a cut off frequency as to how low it effects? I think the effect could be more, well, effective if the mow end was more solid and really anchored down the mix. I think the BX might be blurring the mix some and it's taking away from a more defined sound.

Great interpretation. You got some smoothness out of this which is not easy to with so much resonant content. A story well told. Nice.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]