Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo - Never Ebb But Flow // Ringoman1 Mix
Hi all,

I really enjoyed mixing this song! Amazing vocals, doubles + backing, great drum recordings (didn't need much processing i.m.o.). I thought it was quite challenging to 'bring out' all the elements in the explosive choruses (piano + acoustic guitars + electric guitars + synths) and to keep the low mids in control, so... here's my 'end' result!

Looking forward to any feedback. Thanks & cheers!

.mp3    DavidTyo_NeverEbbButFlow_Mix_v3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

I can only give a quick listen at the moment. I think the biggest issues are eq related. Overall it's a little boxy. You can cut more at the offending frequencies and make eq decisions based on the whole ensemble. Don't focus too much on individual instruments but how they all work together. Also don't forget to double check on different sources. It seems that the boxiness is at about 600 and there a peakiness in the chorus in the 1200hz region but that's just a rough check.

I do think wider panning will give you more space to work with.

The solos are really buried in the solo section.

I'd say the chorus is the section that needs the most work. On think that might help is to get the bass and drums and maybe the rhythm guitars set and then bring in the lead vocals and have them dictate the level of everything else around them. The have a natural peakiness and that should be the guide to base all the other instruments around.

I think I'm tired. I've had a long weekend, most of which I remember, and I'm typing too much. I'll leave it at those general ideas. If there's anything to clarify let me know.
Really off set guitar somewhere in there. Watch out for that harsh freq. in guitars when eqing ... they sound super thin and harsh.
Thanks Roy & Shul for your remarks and tips! I guess I didn't subscribe to this thread, so I hadn't noticed a response, oops...

Perhaps I'll give it another attempt in a while, currently super busy :'(.

See you around!