Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ooohhhh that was a lovely one :D
Ooohhhh that was a lovely one Big Grin

So HUMAN! I love real singing. I LOVE IT! Smile

So the library-version sounds fantastic already and I wasn't sure anything could be done to improve on it, but I had a go at it anyway.

I used all tracks.

I took some heat in an earlier mix of another song, for trying to make it fit PA-speakers playing it LOUD (And therefore not sounding quite as natural on monitors at at-home volume. In hind-sight a stupid idea since most here don't listen on PA-systems at loud volume, but I like to experiment so oh well lesson learned), so with this one I tried to do it the other way; as in take a recording of a LIVE song played LOUD on PA-speakers but mixed in post to sound more natural at normal speakers without losing the LIVE-feeling.

I think it works, but I have been wrong before (When the honeymoon with a song is over it sometimes sounds less good than it did at first. A trap I keep falling into myself because I'm impatient (I know I'm not the only one though, but it's still stupid) Smile )

Anyway, this one sounds like I want it to, on both studio-monitors and studio-headphones, so if it's completely off the rocker... then I got no excuse.

I hope the duo likes it. Their opinion is the one that matters most of course.
Thanks for the opportunity.
jacob.

.mp3    Woven Hollow - Tell Me Nice (JELmix).mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

Is the phone speaker sound a deliberate choice or a mistake?
All sounds are deliberate.
(30-11-2019, 04:16 PM)JEL Wrote: Ooohhhh that was a lovely one Big Grin

So HUMAN! I love real singing. I LOVE IT! Smile

So the library-version sounds fantastic already and I wasn't sure anything could be done to improve on it, but I had a go at it anyway.

I used all tracks.

I took some heat in an earlier mix of another song, for trying to make it fit PA-speakers playing it LOUD (And therefore not sounding quite as natural on monitors at at-home volume. In hind-sight a stupid idea since most here don't listen on PA-systems at loud volume, but I like to experiment so oh well lesson learned), so with this one I tried to do it the other way; as in take a recording of a LIVE song played LOUD on PA-speakers but mixed in post to sound more natural at normal speakers without losing the LIVE-feeling.

I think it works, but I have been wrong before (When the honeymoon with a song is over it sometimes sounds less good than it did at first. A trap I keep falling into myself because I'm impatient (I know I'm not the only one though, but it's still stupid) Smile )

Anyway, this one sounds like I want it to, on both studio-monitors and studio-headphones, so if it's completely off the rocker... then I got no excuse.

I hope the duo likes it. Their opinion is the one that matters most of course.
Thanks for the opportunity.
jacob.

Hi Jacob.

I want to comment on your mix with the intention to help you.
I will ask you several questions as a checklist for you to test your mix.
1- Check the mix in different monitors or headphones and write down deficiencies you hear
2- Check the mix at different volumes to verify the balance of tracks
3- Check the mix in mono and hear if some elements cancels
4- Compare your mix with a similar genre song released commercially and match volume to check which one is better.

Just that and I will do this consistently and you will see an exponential improvement in your mixing skills. We will never stop learning how to get better at this, but the faster you learn the better. Take care.