Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of Justin Myles - Alone with you
As usual, I tried to keep everything as clean and natural as possible...beautiful song, tastefully played, only shaped the guitars a bit.
Had to edit out a nasty click on one of the acoustic guitars...I think I did good :-)
Any feedback very appreciated :-)

.mp3    JustinMyles_AloneWithYou.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

(26-11-2019, 11:32 PM)manor_project Wrote: Any feedback very appreciated :-)

Hi

Here's my first impression(given for the good):

The mix in general:
Lots of quality here, you did it good, but I think there's still some small improvements that can be done. The whole mix is very close to the listeners, so I feel the guitars, drums and vocal are just around my head. Give them some more space so the listeners don't feel "invaded".

Placement of instruments/Room:
Do you have the impression of a band playing in the same room? To a large extent yes, but as already mentioned, it's very close to the listeners. You can try to add some reverb on most to make some more distance, but keep the delay time short. The song do not need a hall.

Balance:
Ok.

Vocal:
Ok, but close.
Backing vocals are a bit anonymous and could need some more presence.

Solo instruments:
The solo guitar is a bit edgy. You can try roll of some high frequencies to make it a bit rounder, but not much. You are using some reverb on this, but the intro differ from the solo part later in the song. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me getting the impression that the guitarist have moved back or it's another guitarist playing.

Drums:
The kick could need some presence and articulation. Try to add more energy and a slightly more pronounced hit by using parallel compression(PC). The toms need more work. They are a bit anonymous and wooly. Work with the low mids and try a compressor to emphasis the hit, but do not over compress it.

Bass:
If your a perfectionist you'll look for things in the mix that can add some extra and give it a lift. In this song there's some notes played by the bass from 2:34 to 3:10 you can use.

Resonance and frequencies:
Ok.

Mixing is often an incremental process. You fix something and then other challenges surface. So for this version I'm stopping my comments here.

If you want a reference to some of my points made here, you can listen to my mix of the same song couple of entries down in this forum. I'm NOT saying that my mix is the ultimate sounding mix, but it can give you some hints about what I am saying here.

Happy mixing.
Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Wow, awesome man...thank you for the detailed feedback!

I see what you mean about everything being too close, very good point.
Probably a consequence of most of this being done on headphones Undecided

The edgy guitar was a deliberate choice and believe me, the eq and effects are the same on the intro as they are on the solo!

Background vocals, totally agree...very anonymous.

Lead vocal, yes, close but I was sort of going for a warm tone.

Toms, I got lazy there, didn't really spend too much time on them, they really need work.

Bass, I rarely use parallel compression as it's time consuming but yeah, I'd give it a go.

I'll have a proper listen to your mix and work a bit more on mine.

Thanks again!

(27-11-2019, 09:45 PM)sthauge Wrote:
(26-11-2019, 11:32 PM)manor_project Wrote: Any feedback very appreciated :-)

Hi

Here's my first impression(given for the good):

The mix in general:
Lots of quality here, you did it good, but I think there's still some small improvements that can be done. The whole mix is very close to the listeners, so I feel the guitars, drums and vocal are just around my head. Give them some more space so the listeners don't feel "invaded".

Placement of instruments/Room:
Do you have the impression of a band playing in the same room? To a large extent yes, but as already mentioned, it's very close to the listeners. You can try to add some reverb on most to make some more distance, but keep the delay time short. The song do not need a hall.

Balance:
Ok.

Vocal:
Ok, but close.
Backing vocals are a bit anonymous and could need some more presence.

Solo instruments:
The solo guitar is a bit edgy. You can try roll of some high frequencies to make it a bit rounder, but not much. You are using some reverb on this, but the intro differ from the solo part later in the song. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me getting the impression that the guitarist have moved back or it's another guitarist playing.

Drums:
The kick could need some presence and articulation. Try to add more energy and a slightly more pronounced hit by using parallel compression(PC). The toms need more work. They are a bit anonymous and wooly. Work with the low mids and try a compressor to emphasis the hit, but do not over compress it.

Bass:
If your a perfectionist you'll look for things in the mix that can add some extra and give it a lift. In this song there's some notes played by the bass from 2:34 to 3:10 you can use.

Resonance and frequencies:
Ok.

Mixing is often an incremental process. You fix something and then other challenges surface. So for this version I'm stopping my comments here.

If you want a reference to some of my points made here, you can listen to my mix of the same song couple of entries down in this forum. I'm NOT saying that my mix is the ultimate sounding mix, but it can give you some hints about what I am saying here.

Happy mixing.

the mix lacks space and depth, that's what hits me immediately right after the load breathing that needs to come down. the above user was spot on in that it was excitement you were looking for but the aspects of the mix that would give you that were missed
(25-09-2020, 11:58 PM)illsoulprod Wrote: the mix lacks space and depth, that's what hits me immediately right after the load breathing that needs to come down. the above user was spot on in that it was excitement you were looking for but the aspects of the mix that would give you that were missed
Thank you very much for taking time to have a listen and comment. Very helpful feedback. I haven't touched this mix in a while, I'll give it another go for sure.