Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
James May: 'On The Line'
Hi there!

Here is my version.

Really loved the song.
All of the tunes by James May make me move.

Thanks to him and Mike for making the tracks available!

.mp3    onetheline_v4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

I've updated my mix.

Added a little more automation to reveal additional arrangement nuances and replaced my mixbus compressor—playing with TrackComp 2 by DMG Audio now.

.mp3    onetheline_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

Nice mix! I think you could get more aggressive in your automation. The mandolins and cello deserves more attention. It sounds a bit harsh. I found it very helpful to lowpass these tracks to smooth out the high end. I feel like you could use some more reverb to more depth in the track and bring out the beauty of these tracks. It feels a bit flat. It also sounds a bit narrow. With an arrangement as busy as this, you can certainly hard pan some things.

I think you overall made quite a tasteful mix, but I feel like you are a bit too careful. However, all of this is entirely subjective. I just mixed this song, and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback.
(15-12-2020, 05:24 AM)Frej Wrote: Nice mix! I think you could get more aggressive in your automation. The mandolins and cello deserves more attention. It sounds a bit harsh. I found it very helpful to lowpass these tracks to smooth out the high end. I feel like you could use some more reverb to more depth in the track and bring out the beauty of these tracks. It feels a bit flat. It also sounds a bit narrow. With an arrangement as busy as this, you can certainly hard pan some things.

I think you overall made quite a tasteful mix, but I feel like you are a bit too careful.  However, all of this is entirely subjective. I just mixed this song, and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback.
Thank you for these notes! Nearly after a year... [Image: smile.gif]

They are on spot, now that I hear the mix after so much time. Let me know if you need some mixes to be reviewed. I also listened to your Youtube — great stuff there, specifically the latest recordings. Would be cool to mix your multitracks and exchange experience.