Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Roar"ing into 2020's
Hello everybody,

Mixed this in Harrison, and did a Faux light Mastering on this in Reaper. Someone with a deft enough touch could crank the level on this, but I am afraid of breaking what I built.

The tracks were clean, and excellently performed, which always makes the job loads simpler, so I felt a bit more relaxed while tackling the thing as a whole.

Most of what I did was partially undoing what I had just done, which was try and bring the image more forward, without adding any artifacts. Most work was cleaning up peak frequencies created by the colored EQ's I used, and making sure things didn't poke out too much in the mid range. There could easily be a build up between 1 and 2k between the voice and guitar, so I did a fair amount of "cleaning up" in this area.

I added a bass amp sim on the DI track, bussed those together, and made sure I ran them through the appropriate Slate Pre to clean up some of the sub areas (the trident Pre seemed to clean a lot of the boominess, while keeping definition). I also added a transient controller plugin from Kilohearts, as the bass attack was intruding on the kick drum.

In the aux percussion department, I sent them all to a buss with a slap back delay into a small room reverb. Wanted to keep their immediate attack, while keeping some space. Didn't do much else to them.

I definitely cleared a lot of lower mids from the acoustic and 12 string tracks. They could have easily dominated the track with their constant strumming, and the close micing they received, but I think I was able to keep them warm, without their boominess with the SoundBrigade plugin.

All in all, it was a pleasure to mix, and I hope you enjoy! Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Draper

.mp3    Roar Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

I can only give a quick listen so don't take this note too seriously but it feels a bit...brittle. Like there's an exciter across the mix. Inorganic. I kinda like the overall tone but it feels artificial and inappropriate. I could be wrong, it's late in the day. Still that's my gut impression. Maybe I'll feel different in the morning. Eastern Standard Time. The true time zone.... (I just mostly want to create a rumble over time zones)
Thank you for confirming what I was afraid of!

I'll give a touch up ASAP.

Draper
Tightened up my highs a bit! I think it's less artificially bright now.

Yea?

Draper

.mp3    Roar Final Highs tightened.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)