Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signe Jacobsen - What have you done to me (mix by Brian at Axis Sounds)
Hey folks.

Had a lot of fun with this track today.

I chunkified the drums with some samples via Slates Trigger and blended in with the overheads.

I didn't do anything crazy with the arrangement but made some creative decisions regarding Signe's vocal parts. This was a real challenge.

As always, if anyone wants to discuss this, or your own mix, please shout out!

Processors:
Slate All Access
Trigger 2
Devil-Loc
Tremolator
Avid Space
Scheps OmniChannel all used here.

.mp3    What have you done to me - Mix by Axis Sounds.mp3 --  (Download: 6.09 MB)

Hey, not bad!

This one is not quite as easy as one might expect (well, I didn’t think so anyway). You are right that it's fun though.

Little things I didn’t like so much. Might be a bit too nit-picky, and down to personal taste - but it’s what sprang to mind as I played it through:

I miss the guitar solo in the chorus parts, it’s a little too buried in there for me I feel.
I think overall perhaps vocal could be a touch brighter? Not sure.
The ‘your my hero’ part in the bridge. Personal taste, it’s just too cheesy for me! Good effort giving it a go fitting in though!
Kick gets a bit lost for me.

Saying that, I enjoyed the listen overall. Oh, forgot to mention, I think you have the organ part working well with the piano.

Well done.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I havent mixed this one yet so I don't know what you're working with. right away on the intro, I can hear the gate/expander hold on the guitar part, leaving a tail of noise You might reduce the hold and set a longer release instead so it fades off after each phrase. The snare isn't too snappy,d it's got kind of a rubbery feel, that could be a stylistic choice. I can hear the bass player popping in the verses but only barely it seems a little lost, but heck we don't always have to make a show off bass player a star. Really good mix, man, the last chorus and the outro seem very radio-ready. I really appreciate you not overdoing a buss compression.
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List