Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAME KIND OF LIFE
Took a dark approach to the mix Feedback is appreciated and given back

.mp3    SAME KIND OF LIFE.mp3 --  (Download: 4.21 MB)

.mp3    SAME KIND OF LIFE 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

.m4a    SAME KING OF LIFE 3_4.m4a --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

I have to admit the overall...low bit distortion? I'm not sure...is distracting. Is it just on the piano? I think. It just fills in the space between the notes and it feels like something between me and the mix. If it is a low bit distortion maybe raise it to 12 bits? If not, ignore that advice.

That aside the drums are powerful. Maybe inappropriately so but I like them too much and I'm biased. The vocal is a bit harsh on occasion when he really pushes but that's minor and I'm over analyzing.

I will say that, that effect aside it sounds fine. But this song needs something more than that. It's a subtle song and it needs to be a subtle song with a knife in it's belt. Safe but threatening. Does that help? Probably not. Still, I stand by my vague analogies because there's nothing technical to complain about and after that, critiquing art is tiresome. 7 thumbs up.
Thanks for the feedback Roy. There's a lowpass on some of the instruments done with my harrison eq not much just some off the top. There's no distortion on the instruments but some on the reverb on the vocals a devil loc plus decapitator. The drums might be a little much but i liked the weight on them and the bass. Did this mix to test out my signal chain in the new stu. Ill rexamine it in the near future. Thanks again!
Did an update all in the box this go round
Update trying out dynameter for better dynamics
(v3)Sounds great. I the vocal could be a bit more forward. I get that you were going for a more dynamic mix and that comes across but I think the vocals should 'grab' the listener right away. It's a 'lazy' song in terms of how it's played and sung. In a good way. But the vocal needs to be more in front of the stage and in the spotlight to reach the back row. Im not a theater person but the analogy feels apt. Its not far off, just a few dBs and many just for the first few lines to start things off a little stronger.