Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E J Rios: 'Echo (feat. Analise Rios)'
Interesting graph. I've passed the entire audio from both tracks through voxengo span avg+max. Audio is from youtube converted to mp3 with ffmpeg (to 320k), and volume down about 6db.

Thumbnail(s)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Not sure if helps at all, but regarding reference mixes: I just went through the billboard top 50/100 pop songs videos and sought out the tracks that caught my ear!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(18-11-2019, 05:02 PM)mikej Wrote: Not sure if helps at all, but regarding reference mixes: I just went through the billboard top 50/100 pop songs videos and sought out the tracks that caught my ear!
Hi Mike ,
I would love to hear any recommendations on reference mixes on any genre especially this one.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi,

First off, I am bit concerned that I feel your analysis graph of the Pink and Selena tracks differs from mine? I hadn't actually analysed the tracks with meters before seeing your graph, but my graphs do seem to match what I am hearing and describing? I honestly was a bit concerned as the Pink track looks completely off to me in your graph. As is the nature of perception and hearing I was honestly preparing myself for a bit of a shock!

Regarding mix referencing, I have only got the hang of it and the philosophy behind it in the last couple of weeks, as I try to solve problems with my own mixes, so I have some way to go still.

I think specific tracks are going to vary for all of us, as we will all have different tastes, and aims. I am finding I am using different tracks for different things, eg overall balance, snare sound, vocal effects, guitar width and tone, etc. There is a section in Mike Senior's book about reference mixes, but I only truly 'get it' now that I am looking for solutions to solve particular mix problems I'm having.

I hope this link is allowed, but as I mentioned - if you go here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BillboardDance/videos

There are videos of all the latest hot tracks by the current top selling broad genres. They are chart run-down videos so there are clips of 50 tracks in 5 minutes, categorised by genre. I just pick the tracks I like.

If I am lucky I will find one or two per 50 tracks that stand out. I have created DAW sessions per genre, with collections of level matched tracks I like that I can rapidly switch between, and compare with my own mixes. I think there are also many playlists on youtube, spotify, etc that you can seek out and would be useful too, also music podcasts and mixes, etc.

I am also rediscovering stuff from the last 10 years that I perhaps unfairly overlooked at the time, and that I now have a new appreciation for.

I think my references will continually change and evolve. The current contents of my 'Pop Mixes' folder is stuff like:

Selena Gomez - Look At Her Now
Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
Benny Blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside
Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
Halsey - Without Me
Ariana Grande - Boyfriend
Troye Sivan - Dance to This
Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me

For Pop, today I want to be seeking out tracks mixed by Serban Ghenea, Manny Marroquin, Jaycen Joshua, Josh Gudwin, etc, etc. Tomorrow, who knows what will be catching my ear.

Also, I recall the reference mix for this track being pretty strong and unbeatable for me. I also discovered the other day that it seems this track did get a release and you can find it on Youtube.

Hope this is of some help!
Hi,
Great post !
With the graph I should have mentioned that the eq curves in my picture are with 1 octave average smoothing to smooth out the peaks to show the 20-20 eq curve ,your graph is similar to mine just with more peaks.
Thank you for sharing your reference ideas !

Cheers

Overall I like it. I think the vocals might be a bit loud and definitely sibilant. I feel like it could be tamed a bit in the mids (1-2k? dunno). There's points in the chorus and bridge where the vocals and guitars tend to poke out in a narrow area. Especially the chorus vocals. That said, overall it's a nice exciting mix to listen to.
(21-11-2019, 03:39 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Overall I like it. I think the vocals might be a bit loud and definitely sibilant. I feel like it could be tamed a bit in the mids (1-2k? dunno). There's points in the chorus and bridge where the vocals and guitars tend to poke out in a narrow area. Especially the chorus vocals. That said, overall it's a nice exciting mix to listen to.
Thanks For having A Listen Roy ,
I Might have another go based on your feedback .
Cheers Big Grin

you could add Zara larsson and Sigrid to that list as well. I think the production in Sigrid songs might be useful as reference as they have a heavy synth part to them usually.

Sweet symphony by zara larrsoon might be good reference track when mixing songs that include a orchestral string part.

Ian fitzpatrick is the guy that produced Dua Lipa's 'Don't start now' i think he's pretty big right now, he's also produced a selena gomez 'bad liar' track that reproduced the bass line of the talking who song and also is a total rip of Paul Simon.

Hi thedon! The last version sounds nice and balanced, except the weird and sometimes boomy bassSmile
Sorry for my bad english.
(24-11-2019, 09:26 PM)[email protected] Wrote: you could add Zara larsson and Sigrid to that list as well. I think the production in Sigrid songs might be useful as reference as they have a heavy synth part to them usually.

Sweet symphony by zara larrsoon might be good reference track when mixing songs that include a orchestral string part.

Ian fitzpatrick is the guy that produced Dua Lipa's 'Don't start now' i think he's pretty big right now, he's also produced a selena gomez 'bad liar' track that reproduced the bass line of the talking who song and also is a total rip of Paul Simon.
Thanks for the ideas I will check them out !
Cheers Big Grin