Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbosauro: 'Magilla'_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelAngelAngel

This was a blast to mix!! Loved the tune, the musicianship, etc.! A "metal" sounding song with a clean sax? Hmmmmmm, what to do? Well, I dirtied up the sax a bit and mixed it with the clean sax to give it some bite without changing its overall sound too much. Did the same with some guitar parts. Eq'd the kick so that it sounded more like a "metal" sounding kick with a short deep thud and a pronounced high beater click. Overall, I think I got a nice balance with the instrumentation given. Again, a very "different" instrumentation setup for a metal genre, if you can even call it that. I hope you all like it.

Tom

-----------------UPDATE

Uploaded another mix that I think is much cleaner and better overall, but you guys have to decide. No sound-replaced drums whatsoever.....trying to avoid doing that at all costs. No added samples either....just used original tracks processed with plugins.

Peace,

Tom

.mp3    Magilla_5M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.84 MB)

.mp3    Magilla_15M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.81 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
good mix
(04-11-2019, 03:30 AM)Txory Wrote: good mix

--------------------
Txory,

Thanks very much! Glad you liked the mix.

Peace,

Tom

I enjoyed the creative take on this! I love when people saturate and blend things in fun ways that I don't expect. This is definitely the most unique version I've heard so far, with stylistic choices being made. I like it, though the overheads are a little swish-y. That may have been tame-able. Overall, I like what you did with the tracks!
(04-11-2019, 05:47 PM)aftercutrecords Wrote: I enjoyed the creative take on this! I love when people saturate and blend things in fun ways that I don't expect. This is definitely the most unique version I've heard so far, with stylistic choices being made. I like it, though the overheads are a little swish-y. That may have been tame-able. Overall, I like what you did with the tracks!

-------------
Thanks for your kind words! You are not the artist/s by the way are you? I only say that because of the way in which you worded your post.

Tom
best sounding mix out of the ones I've heard. I'd just boost those guitars on that "chorus" section to have more of an in your face punch. good job.
(07-11-2019, 08:36 AM)Shul Wrote: best sounding mix out of the ones I've heard. I'd just boost those guitars on that "chorus" section to have more of an in your face punch. good job.

------------

Shul,

Thanks for the props.....much appreciated. Maybe I'll go back into the mix and do just what you recommend......great idea. :-) Thanks.

Tom
Hey Tommy!

As others have said, I like your take on the mix! Maybe my biggest issue is the disparity between the snare and the kick. The kick sounds huge compared to the snare. Maybe you were trying to fight the overheads a bit with the kick, or maybe you set the kick level according to the final chorus?

And I'm with Shul in thinking that maybe your gits on the chorus could come out a bit more.

That sax sounds amazing!

All in all, really well done!

Draper
(26-11-2019, 01:20 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Tommy!

As others have said, I like your take on the mix! Maybe my biggest issue is the disparity between the snare and the kick. The kick sounds huge compared to the snare. Maybe you were trying to fight the overheads a bit with the kick, or maybe you set the kick level according to the final chorus?

And I'm with Shul in thinking that maybe your gits on the chorus could come out a bit more.

That sax sounds amazing!

All in all, really well done!

Draper

-------------
Draper, thanks a mil...much appreciated. Yeah, I've yet to go back into this mix to correct those things. I've been working on, and just posted, my mix on Jessica's "Slow Down." I will get to this asap.

Later..........and thanks again for the props.

Tom

Hi Tom, I really like both your posted takes on the mix! It really gels well together. I'm especially happy with how you mixed the low end. It sounds warm, not overly boomy, and not 'mudded'.

I like the '5M' version just a bit better as the drums sound more natural to me and it seems a little brighter overall, which I also prefer. But hey, that's just my opinion. I made some different choices in the mix I posted yesterday, making the end result a different beast entirely. I think that's what I especially like about this forum -- the opportunity to hear those different takes.

Great work overall!