Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sascha - mixd by Laurence Bush
Hope you like it. I was quite conscious of the drums not being too loud this time around, compared to the previous track I had mixed. Let me know what you think, the bass part may be too loud still I'm not sure Huh

.mp3    Sascha01LaurenceBush.mp3 --  (Download: 8.66 MB)

https://soundcloud.com/laurencebush

laurencebush.co.uk

facebook.com/lbsoundandmusic

@lbsoundandmusic
I've just had a fresh listen to the track, and I can now tell there are some dodgy areas in the high mids with the hi hats and the crash. There also should be a slight notch in the mids with the guitar. Overall it's still not bad, the vibe is pretty good, but it certainly does not distinguish itself particularly and doesn't really offer anything new.

laurencebush.co.uk

@lbsoundandmusic
The balance is ok and the vibe fits the song.

But the hihat and some cymbals are too bright/harsh specially against the other sounds that are more warm sounding.

The guitars could have more energy in the mids.

The second voice is too loud and disconnected from the track.

And more automation, this mix needs lots of automation in the guitars. making some interesting parts come up, etc.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(04-08-2014, 12:06 AM)jeremias666 Wrote: The balance is ok and the vibe fits the song.

But the hihat and some cymbals are too bright/harsh specially against the other sounds that are more warm sounding.

The guitars could have more energy in the mids.

The second voice is too loud and disconnected from the track.

And more automation, this mix needs lots of automation in the guitars. making some interesting parts come up, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

laurencebush.co.uk

@lbsoundandmusic
I find that, no matter how often I remix this track, the hi-hats are always a problem. This is inherently due to the fact that their bleed is all over every single other mic'd instrument in the audio pool! However, it's so hard to treat, since the bleed on the tracks is fundamental to keeping the vibe of the track intact.

Very hard to work with, but makes for great practice!

In the case of your mix, I'd dampen the hat and other overheads ever so slightly by being careful with your EQ around the 14kHz+ mark. I used a multi-band compressor to quickly dampen and then open up this region on my OH tracks, the room tracks and the bleedy guitar tracks. I completely deleted the original hi-hat track from my audio pool and didn't use a comp/mult of it anywhere in my mix. I just used the hi-hat signal on the other tracks in the audio pool.

Good work, looking forward to hearing your future mixes.
Please message me for recording/mixing collaborations. I'm looking to work with people from around the world to make great music!

Scarlett 18i6 Interface
£30 pair of headphones
Pro Tools

Fab Filter Pro-MB, Steven Slate Drums, Steven Slate Trigger, Blue Cats Audio Analyser, TDL Kotelnikov.