Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Way Home
(10-11-2019, 05:37 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 05:35 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 05:31 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: What does it mean when I hit the windmill?

Usually time to hit the 19th hole for a cold one!

Tongue Smile Cool
Ah, mastering.

Oh no. Not the 'M' word???
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I love mastering. Not doing it myself, mind you. I 'finalize' because I'm not a mastering engineer but man they've made mixes so much better over the years. There should be a similar site for mastering engineers where we can send mixes that they can practice on...
(10-11-2019, 05:46 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I love mastering. Not doing it myself, mind you. I 'finalize' because I'm not a mastering engineer but man they've made mixes so much better over the years. There should be a similar site for mastering engineers where we can send mixes that they can practice on...

I've tried most of the on-line mastering services and can't say they return something any better than what I can do for myself. I just started using Izotope for mastering and will do two of their automated mixes (one for streaming, one for not streaming). and one manually setting only the desired loudness in LUFs and doing everything else manually. I think it works. Looking at their curves from their automated processing is somewhat enlightening. I get happy when they do things like .2 db broad adds or subtractions to my master. When they need to do nothing major it makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

We should have a discussion about playback level and how that affects mixes and masters.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
That's fair, without diving too deep I was speaking more about 'real' mastering engineers.Which had been relatively rare. I just don't have the reference equipment and I can't trust most of my low end while mixing on earbuds. I still do better than most. And I feel like 'loudness' isn't that big of a deal because things get leveled out a bit in iTunes. I just haven't thought about loudness when playing back songs from my library so I don't care that much anymore. I'll limit it to get the level up some but I'm never competing.

I do wish there was a separate forum for general chat. Though I get how it might be abused. But it'd be nice to talk about things unrelated to specific songs.