Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alejo Granados "Rumba Chonta" - Joe Palumbo Mix
Here we go.
First mix of a genre like this.
To me it's a little difficult because I feel like the percussion isn't "tuned" to the song. Anyone else hear this? Almost makes the bass feel like it's playing a different song, though I think that's the fault of the percussion not the bass.

Might have to turn it up a pinch, I have nothing pumping the overall "volume."

Either way, nice sounding tracks. I think I heard in the other three mixes of this I listened to was use of small room or chamber reverbs. That was the first thing that came to my mind too.

There was a lot of marimba to deal with but it eventually backs off and let's a few other instruments take solos. I didn't do a whole lot for that beside automate some tracks in and out.

Saxes were fun to hear at the end but wish they were around a little bit more. Definitely had that part stuck in my head all night.

Let me know what you think. All comments welcome.

.mp3    Rhumba Chonta - 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.87 MB)

soundcloud.com/joepalumbo
Hi!
Not a bad mix for a first try on that genre Wink
I would like more low end of bass but the rest of EQ for me is ok.
I feel the panning a bit scattered, I don't feel the band playing together...but nice use of reverb Wink
Keep the good thing
All best

Jacques
Hi,

nice mix. I think the bass part works pretty well with the hihat - both parts that you put in at quite low levels, though that is a valid decision.

I had the same thoughts about the sax parts. Man, I'd give a fader just to have them earlier in the arrangement Big Grin

Cheers
Artbass
(06-11-2013, 10:50 AM)Artbass Wrote: I had the same thoughts about the sax parts. Man, I'd give a fader just to have them earlier in the arrangement Big Grin

Cheers
Artbass

I obviously havent heard it yet, but dont they fit the chords earlier so you can move them ?
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(06-11-2013, 11:10 AM)Voelund Wrote: I obviously havent heard it yet, but dont they fit the chords earlier so you can move them ?

I've tried it, but did not come up with something useful (not to say it is impossible, I just could not get useful results). And that energy the short sax part creates would be diminished if it was just repeated. Besides, the other parts are playing different at that moment than during the rest of the tune.
Oh that sounds interesting, gotta check it out and see if I can get ideas Big Grin
Thx Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice mix and sounding!!!

Cheers!!