Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Way to Mix
I guess everyone has probably heard this song too many times by now.... Anyhow...A pretty labour-intensive mix, this one! Think I snuck it in just in time... Hope it came out ok.

.mp3    Long Way Home_David Tyo_Coldroom Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.53 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I'm certainly sick of it. I wound up deleting my versions on here because they were pretty bad. Spent all day yesterday trying to come up with something decent to submit.

This mix is really good. As I'm listening right now, if pressed for critique, it's a little right heavy. My ear keeps getting drawn to the piano and guitars on the right. I found panning tricky on this one myself. I like the panning effects. Especially on the BgV. Speaking of which I could have used a hair more of the BgVs at times.
Not a fan of the shaker delay rhythm. It's a little distracting and the rhythm feels weird.
I feel the organ but I'm kind of missing it. Which is weird because I hated the upper midrange of the organ but really want that back in this mix for that little bit of spice.
But ignore all that. I'm just nit picking.
Nice and full and wide although maybe a touch cymbal heavy. I liked your moving pan of the second guitar when it does the slide. I did the same thing! I agree with Roy in wanting to hear a bit more BGVs. It was a tough task to get everything to fit and keep the emotional context right.

Nicely done.

On another note, I think it is a brilliant approach for this artist to do this kind of contest with the caveat that all entrant must post their mix to a social site. What a great way to get his music out with almost no investment and very little work. Brilliant!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(31-10-2019, 02:50 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm certainly sick of it. I wound up deleting my versions on here because they were pretty bad. Spent all day yesterday trying to come up with something decent to submit.

This mix is really good. As I'm listening right now, if pressed for critique, it's a little right heavy. My ear keeps getting drawn to the piano and guitars on the right. I found panning tricky on this one myself. I like the panning effects. Especially on the BgV. Speaking of which I could have used a hair more of the BgVs at times.
Not a fan of the shaker delay rhythm. It's a little distracting and the rhythm feels weird.
I feel the organ but I'm kind of missing it. Which is weird because I hated the upper midrange of the organ but really want that back in this mix for that little bit of spice.

Thanks Roy... Weird how different listeners perceive things... I actually thought I had the organ really cranking on this track! Anyhow, thanks for the listen and the thoughtful comments!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(31-10-2019, 03:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Nice and full and wide although maybe a touch cymbal heavy. I liked your moving pan of the second guitar when it does the slide. I did the same thing! I agree with Roy in wanting to hear a bit more BGVs. It was a tough task to get everything to fit and keep the emotional context right.

Nicely done.

On another note, I think it is a brilliant approach for this artist to do this kind of contest with the caveat that all entrant must post their mix to a social site. What a great way to get his music out with almost no investment and very little work. Brilliant!

Thanks MITC. Yeah this was one of the rare times I wish they supplied a separate hihat mic, as that might have enabled me to get a louder hihat level in the softer sections of the song to define the secondary beat divisions more effectively. There is a lot of dynamic contrast in the way the cymbals were played across course of the song, and as the overheads were a big part of the drums sound, I was reluctant to automate the cymbals for fear of changing the overall drum sound too noticeably.

I have to repeat my comment about perceptions above in regard to yours' and Roy's comments about the BVs. I thought I had them really quite loud in the mix! Any louder and I found I lost the sense of them "blending" with the lead...

Yeah it sounds like a brilliant stroke of promotion on the part of the artist! I just don't envy him having to listen to all the mixes!... Depending on how many there were (& by the looks of thing around here, there would be a LOT!), I would probably be tempted to pick one out of a hat!

Thank you for listening and commenting!
(01-11-2019, 10:44 PM)FytaKyte Wrote:
(31-10-2019, 02:50 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm certainly sick of it. I wound up deleting my versions on here because they were pretty bad. Spent all day yesterday trying to come up with something decent to submit.

Thanks Roy... Weird how different listeners perceive things... I actually thought I had the organ really cranking on this track! Anyhow, thanks for the listen and the thoughtful comments!

If I’m remembering my comment correctly it wasn’t so much the volume as opposed to the tone. It may be loud but may have just needed more
edge to cut through.