Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Kat Wright - Contact, by Dave Med
Hello, with pleasure I leave you my post-production and mastering.

I'm proud of her and hope she likes it

Any comment is welcomed.

Please rate me and give me a comment

Leave me your link to listen to your work

.mp3    Kat Wright - Contact.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

I think you've done a pretty good job Dave! We clearly have different tastes, but I can appreciate that you make everything sound clear and clean.

I think that some middle ground between our mixes would be really good. I think your mix sounds better, but mine feels better. Your mix could benefit from some more depth and glue. It should sound like a band grooving together in a tasty musical soup. You don't want everything to be completely distinct. That will just distract the listener.

For some concrete ideas:
Add more reverb and delay for depth.
Make some instruments darker to push them back in the mix.
Try putting a really boing spring reverb on the guitar. It sounds great. I promise Smile
Try using a bus compressor to get a little bit of rhythmic pumping to enhance to groove.
Try using more aggressive automation to make the song more engaging. For example, push up the horns in the solo and intro.

On a more technical note, you have mastered it really hot. There is no need to push a track that hard, especially an organic live performance like this. I didn't hear any obvious distortion, but I really doubt the track benefited from all that limiting.

Those are my opinions. Feel free to disagree Smile

I hope it was helpful.
Hey Dave,
real solid mix, dont know if/what I would even change.
The horns could be a bit fatter and the vocals are too heavy on the plosives.

Otherwise, excellent work.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel