Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Long Way Home by David Tyo - Mixing without hearing audio experiment.
Well the title says it all. Thought of having a little experiment. Decided to Mix a song without hearing it at all(well I did hear the song before mixing it to know where things are tbh.) Sort of a Visual mixing thing.Anyway Haven't heard the final mixdown yet. So you guys be the judge of how it went.I will hear it after I gather all the info's and feedbacks (if anyone kindly gives oneBig Grin).Very excited to know the result of this experiment.

.mp3    Long way home.mp3 --  (Download: 11.4 MB)

As expected, a train wreck.

Pardon me while I tape my eyes shut a go fro a drive.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Yeah, I get the idea from a mixer's standpoint. Kinda. But what would you expect from the listener's perspective? We all know it's not going to end well. You should listen to it and see what you glean from the experience but I have to be honest, as a listener, from an audio perspective, there's no reason fro me to listen. I could look at the waveform and judge that, I suppose but that too will be meaningless.

I'm not trying to sour the experiment. It's always cool to try something. But this experiment isn't for the listener it's for you and up to you to see what you can learn from it.

Like MitC said, "Pardon me while I tape my eyes shut a go fro a drive." It might be a fun thing to try and do and you might learn something from the physical focus on your car and spacing and driving (which really doesn't apply to a DAW) but that said you'd do this on a closed course so no one else got hurt.

In the end it's an audio medium not a visual one. If anything go the other way and turn off as much visual feed back as you can ( I know in Logic you can switch plug-ins from a GUI view to a strict and very uninspiring 'control' view or whatever it's called.

I applaud the pursuit of something different. Now maybe pursue another one.
Hi!

I l listened back to this with the volume set to 0, so my impression might vary slightly from the other posters I guess. I felt it had a certain John Cage quality to it, but about 26 seconds longer.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
ANALOG NOISE
Thanks all for all the honest opinions. Well truth to be told it was a fun and interesting experiment for me to "see" how it will sound if i mix it without hearing and obviously I was waiting for some massive hiccups as these kind of experiments often lean to. and I heard the song first time after posting it here and reading all the views. And yes every point that you guys generated was true. Anyway I am still happy to do this fun experiment.Big Grin.It was all fun and games. I think you should get to them at least once. And after hearing the audio first time my own point is "too much delay on vocals!!! omg!!!"
(08-11-2019, 06:54 PM)micsamuel Wrote: Thanks all for all the honest opinions. Well truth to be told it was a fun and interesting experiment for me to "see" how it will sound if i mix it without hearing and obviously I was waiting for some massive hiccups as these kind of experiments often lean to. and I heard the song first time after posting it here and reading all the views. And yes every point that you guys generated was true. Anyway I am still happy to do this fun experiment.Big Grin.It was all fun and games. I think you should get to them at least once. And after hearing the audio first time my own point is "too much delay on vocals!!! omg!!!"

You tried something. I appreciate that.