Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
To Sam Rawfers (Panos)
What a great song!
Hope you enjoy it too.

Please let me know your thoughts about this mix..

Panos

.mp3    To Sam Rawfers (Panos).mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

.mp3    To Sam Rawfers (Panos) [2].mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

.mp3    To Sam Rawfers (Panos) [3].mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

Hi Panos,

Thanks for the compliments on the song -- by return, I'd like to offer my compliments on the mix! This is very much a mix after my own heart. Love the vocal effects. Love the new arrangement details you added by dropping the drums -- very effective at the beginning of the second verse in particular. What impresses me most is that you've clearly listened to what I'm singing, and have come up with ideas that seem to support that. Great work!

One change I'd suggest would be to make the organ entry at the start of each chorus more imposing -- it's meant to be a real statement, because church organ is such a stupidly bombastic thing to put in a song like this. You can always pull it out again a bit to leave space when the BVs really get going.

And talking of the BVs, my own preference would be for a bit more of them, and a little less of the lead in the choruses. As it is, the lead punches through easily, whereas I think it gives a better impression of the scale of the backing arrangement if the lead vocal has to struggle a bit more to be heard. It just feels like the choruses aren't quite large-sounding enough (for want of a better expression), because the lead vocal level is implying that the BVs and organ are quite small.

Still, I really enjoyed hearing that version -- thanks for posting! Smile
Thanks Mike! I really appreciate your comments.
Well, I think you are right about the BVs on the chorus. I did some other little changes also. This version may like you better Wink
(07-11-2013, 11:07 AM)panos1984 Wrote: Well, I think you are right about the BVs on the chorus. I did some other little changes also. This version may like you better Wink

Great -- like that one better, definitely. Only thing for me now is that the lead doesn't seem to blend that well during the chorus. It feels a bit to upfront, somehow, so that it doesn't glue in with the rest of the backing to start with. I'd probably automate some ambience reverb in there to tug it back a little. It's a question of taste, though. More of the big "the seraphic glow" in the BVs? It's the highest point of harmonic tension in the song, after all.

I did some changes in this version [3] regarding your comments. I did some EQing on organ, lead and BVs also, and some tweaking on the master bus.

I think I like this version more! Do you?
very nice mix dude! Smile
(29-11-2013, 07:12 PM)gopener Wrote: very nice mix dude! Smile

Thanx man!