Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Myles - Alone With You (Any Feedback Welcome)
I mainly put some reverb on all the instruments and voice except bass and put a compressor only on the lead vocal. I also panned the tracks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

.mp3    Justin Myles - Alone With You Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 17.29 MB)

(27-10-2019, 06:19 AM)pollozzz Wrote: I mainly put some reverb on all the instruments and voice except bass and put a compressor only on the lead vocal. I also panned the tracks.

Hi

I like the idea of using as few plugins as possible. To many mixes are to much processed nowadays.

Here's my first impression(given for the good):

The whole mix is very low, so more overall gain is needed. Use eg. a K14 meter or something like that to get an overall good gain.

In general the mix is rather wooly and needs to be brighten up. Eg. it's a good idea to think how do a guitar really sound like and try to get it sound that way when you are mixing. Always also listen to the instruments in the context of the mix because that's the way we listen to it. A soloed instrument could sound strang, but it "flies" when listen to in context. As it can sound great soloed, but sound awful in context.

The guitar in the intro needs more gain. This intro could catch the listeners attention, so it need to be more focused.

The kick could need some more energy and a slightly more pronounced hit, use parallel compression(PC) on the drums to achieve this or look at your PC settings if you already using PC on the drums.

The snare is a bit boxy, check the EQ and reverb.

It's also a good idea to think: how do this band sound if I was listening to them when they do a concert. How are the band members placed to each other? Do my mix reflect this? Do I have the impression of a band playing in the same room? Or are the vocal dry and the snare have a lot of reverb making them sound like in they are in separate rooms? I'm not saying they should have the same amount of reverb, but getting them sound together is important.

Mixing is often an incremental process. You fix something and then other challenges surface. So for this version I'm stopping my comments here.

If you want a reference to some of my points made here, you can listen to my mix of the same song couple of entries down in this forum. I'm not saying that my mix is the ultimate sounding mix, but it can give you some
hints about what I am saying here.

Happy mixing.
Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(28-10-2019, 03:19 PM)sthauge Wrote:
(27-10-2019, 06:19 AM)pollozzz Wrote: I mainly put some reverb on all the instruments and voice except bass and put a compressor only on the lead vocal. I also panned the tracks.

Hi

I like the idea of using as few plugins as possible. To many mixes are to much processed nowadays.

Here's my first impression(given for the good):

The whole mix is very low, so more overall gain is needed. Use eg. a K14 meter or something like that to get an overall good gain.

In general the mix is rather wooly and needs to be brighten up. Eg. it's a good idea to think how do a guitar really sound like and try to get it sound that way when you are mixing. Always also listen to the instruments in the context of the mix because that's the way we listen to it. A soloed instrument could sound strang, but it "flies" when listen to in context. As it can sound great soloed, but sound awful in context.

The guitar in the intro needs more gain. This intro could catch the listeners attention, so it need to be more focused.

The kick could need some more energy and a slightly more pronounced hit, use parallel compression(PC) on the drums to achieve this or look at your PC settings if you already using PC on the drums.

The snare is a bit boxy, check the EQ and reverb.

It's also a good idea to think: how do this band sound if I was listening to them when they do a concert. How are the band members placed to each other? Do my mix reflect this? Do I have the impression of a band playing in the same room? Or are the vocal dry and the snare have a lot of reverb making them sound like in they are in separate rooms? I'm not saying they should have the same amount of reverb, but getting them sound together is important.

Mixing is often an incremental process. You fix something and then other challenges surface. So for this version I'm stopping my comments here.

If you want a reference to some of my points made here, you can listen to my mix of the same song couple of entries down in this forum. I'm not saying that my mix is the ultimate sounding mix, but it can give you some
hints about what I am saying here.

Happy mixing.

Thank you so much for replying to my post! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I will definitely be incorporating your advice in the future.

Much appreciated.