Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Updated 11-05 - Long Way Home - Alexandre Lack Mix
Hi,
I haven't been here for a while, so this morning I just wanted to see what is going on, check the song I provid last year and...found this song. As I woke up very early this morning, I decided to download the stems and try to do a fast mix... so here is the result. Not as a excuse, but I tried to leave it very clean and do keep the dynamics, even knowing that is about a modern song and I would have to use a compress in the mastering process.
Maybe for some people the drums sounds too dry....it was intentional...as the song has guitars doing slides, tremolo, hammonds, and vocals calls for fx... well... my vision in the mix's scenery is that there is too many elements oscillating...I worried with phase issues and excessives effects that could leave a mud in the mix.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I created a new profile today, because I am using "Alexandre Lack" as my artist name, but I have my old profile here in the forum with my mixes and my song provided as "Ale Lak".

Here two masters, the first one is -14 lufs (around) for stream and the other one little bit louder.

Cheers from Brazil!

ps: I had to remove the both files I sent in the first sumission... just for a reason... I didn't sent the acoustic guitars and the distorced guitars to my mixbus... what a shame!!

well...now I took care, the same mix...

---- // ----- update 10/27 ---- // ----

I made some changes in the mix... lower a bit the overheads, and did some few changes in the acoustic guitar's eq. Think it's better. What you guys think? Please... would like to receive opinions, it's the better tool to make us better! Smile

--- // --- update 11/05 --- // ---

Few chenges....following the tips given

.mp3    David Tyo - Long Way Home (Alexandre Lack Mix V3).mp3 --  (Download: 11.52 MB)

ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
Excellent. Very good sounds top to bottom. A couple of things. I'm not sure what it is, at the vocal climax and the solo voice comes back in there is a swell of the environment which is distracting. Not sure if that is compression or automation. Second is the fade at the end. Something is wrong there. It should not cut off as it does.

Otherwise this is very powerful. Are you happy with how it captures and enhances the emotion of the song?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-10-2019, 09:41 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Excellent. Very good sounds top to bottom. A couple of things. I'm not sure what it is, at the vocal climax and the solo voice comes back in there is a swell of the environment which is distracting. Not sure if that is compression or automation. Second is the fade at the end. Something is wrong there. It should not cut off as it does.

Otherwise this is very powerful. Are you happy with how it captures and enhances the emotion of the song?

Hey man,
thanks for the points...
about the return of the vocals...I guess what you listened maybe was caused by the backing vocals, some layers were too high and they were masking the lead vocal.
About the fade out...I didn't understand.... I listened many times and didn't fine any issu with that.... could you explain better?
Thanks, I will listen your last mix and comment soon as possible.
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
(27-10-2019, 08:54 AM)alexandre_lack Wrote:
(25-10-2019, 09:41 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Excellent. Very good sounds top to bottom. A couple of things. I'm not sure what it is, at the vocal climax and the solo voice comes back in there is a swell of the environment which is distracting. Not sure if that is compression or automation. Second is the fade at the end. Something is wrong there. It should not cut off as it does.

Hey man,
thanks for the points...
about the return of the vocals...I guess what you listened maybe was caused by the backing vocals, some layers were too high and they were masking the lead vocal.
About the fade out...I didn't understand.... I listened many times and didn't fine any issu with that.... could you explain better?
Thanks, I will listen your last mix and comment soon as possible.

I made some changes if you would like to check! Big Grin
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
Ale, can you explain which of these is your latest mix? Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Alexandre,

I listened to your V2 version - lower mastering (around 12 or 13LUFS I suppose?). Here are my comments:

The balance in general is great, with a warm tone (it's not easy to do that without also sounding 'muddy'). There's a good separation between the instruments, that can be clearly heard (except maybe the Hammond, mixed a little too low for my taste, even in the last bars where it's practically the only remaining instrument).

A little things to think about:

1) The toms seem a little too loud for me
2) There are some resonances on the LV on some louder notes that sound sometimes a little harsh and distracting, mainly around 3 and 6KHZ.
3) BV in general could be mixed a little louder in my opinion. That said, I think they would need a little more automation in order to iron out some strong level pics that cover the main vocal

I hope that makes sense for you!

Ps. Se quiser trocar uma ideia em Português, mande um PM! Wink
(27-10-2019, 08:37 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Ale, can you explain which of these is your latest mix? Thanks.

SURE!
the both mixes is wrote V2.... the last two ones... there is a lower and a loud mastering versions!
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
(28-10-2019, 01:45 AM)alexandre_lack Wrote:
(27-10-2019, 08:37 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Ale, can you explain which of these is your latest mix? Thanks.

SURE!
the both mixes is wrote V2.... the last two ones... there is a lower and a loud mastering versions!

Are you sure you have these labeled properly? the lower mix is a lot louder than the louder mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(28-10-2019, 06:04 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(28-10-2019, 01:45 AM)alexandre_lack Wrote:

SURE!

Are you sure you have these labeled properly? the lower mix is a lot louder than the louder mix.

This is something I was listening today I trying to find out. Lol. Probably you are right, but, how Skipper and you gave me good feedbacks I will post a new mix with your consideration. Smile
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
(27-10-2019, 09:31 PM)Skipper Wrote: Hi Alexandre,

I listened to your V2 version - lower mastering (around 12 or 13LUFS I suppose?). Here are my comments:

The balance in general is great, with a warm tone (it's not easy to do that without also sounding 'muddy'). There's a good separation between the instruments, that can be clearly heard (except maybe the Hammond, mixed a little too low for my taste, even in the last bars where it's practically the only remaining instrument).

A little things to think about:

1) The toms seem a little too loud for me
2) There are some resonances on the LV on some louder notes that sound sometimes a little harsh and distracting, mainly around 3 and 6KHZ.
3) BV in general could be mixed a little louder in my opinion. That said, I think they would need a little more automation in order to iron out some strong level pics that cover the main vocal

I hope that makes sense for you!

Ps. Se quiser trocar uma ideia em Português, mande um PM! Wink

Meu caro amigo, bom saber que tenho um conterraneo aqui, rsrs...obrigado pelas considerações e sim, assim que possível gosto de trocar contatos e figurinhas e te mando um PM
...but let's keep writing the language everyone understand!

You are right.... about the toms, I have this habit... every mix I tend to make them little bit louder... maybe I like toms, lol!
The vocals I listened again and, yes, there is much presence in medium high frequencies yet... as I don't have good speakers, just a pair of Makcie CR3, an AKG K240 headphone and no room audio's acoustic treatment, sometimes I need to "imagine" what gonna happen with the final mix. In this case, I inserted a dynamic eq in my vocal bus but I think its need more compression in the harshness frequencies.

About the BV... yes... I turn down the main BV bus... and I confess.... I am a lazy man... I hate to do automation, Stone me!
I liked this song, and I loved to mix it.... (maybe cause there's no deadline or someone saying what you have to do with a closed mind).
I will work again in my next free time and post it again, thanks for share your skills and your time to listen my mix.
Best regards

Alexandre Lack
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]