Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated 10-24: Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 8
The consistent thing about Andrew's compositions is that there is a reason for everything in his arrangements. Extremely well thought out and composed and very well executed. And it takes some brain power to make use of all of the great colors on the palette he gives us.

It is easy to be daunted by the sheer number of tracks but once you begin to understand Andrew's madness, it all begins to gain focus.

In this mix I added very little in the way of effects. Nothing was added to the drums (except in the bridge which was more subtraction than addition) and only some simple echo and minor reverb on some of the guitars (for separation) was added. The vocals have some trickery on them but there is quite a lot printed on them so only a bright plate was added.

Most of the work on this mix was purely on arrangement, dynamics, panning and automation. I had a lot of fun with that. I hope I will not be chastised for some of the minor arrangement changes I made. I went through quite a few iterations of this before I was happy with the dynamic choices.

Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 5
-9.8 LUFS; 8.9 LU

Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 8
Following on the great comments from mixers and artist alike, I have redistributed some of the upper mid energy, tucked the vocal in, in places and beefed up the bass. These changes also engendered some detail changes across the mix.

I may need to take a break from this piece for a while as I am getting too far into the weeds with it. Fresh ears and clear mind may have better results down the road.

Thanks. I look forward to reviews and comments.
mITc

PS: Don't be afraid to turn it up...

.mp3    Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 5.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

.mp3    Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 8.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Great mix. Just wondering about the vocal placement and if it's not a bit too bright in contrast to bass drum. But this impression i have might be wrong, the tone of the vocal came out in my mix is very similar to yours, in terms of opennes/brightness. So maybe it's good! Smile Great Job.
Hi mITc very nice i agree with Lethan about the vocals being a little bright,also on the breakdown the room verb on the drums seems a little strange,too short on the decay?well done anyway.
Reaper user
(21-10-2019, 03:32 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi mITc very nice i agree with Lethan about the vocals being a little bright,also on the breakdown the room verb on the drums seems a little strange,too short on the decay?well done anyway.

The 'room' reverb on the bridge snare drum is a gated reverb. I also killed the room tracks at the same time. I was going for something obviously different than the body of the song.

I will be posting up a version with buss compression and a loudness curve on it which may solve the brightness in the vocals.

Thanks for your good input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(21-10-2019, 01:11 PM)Lethan Wrote: Great mix. Just wondering about the vocal placement and if it's not a bit too bright in contrast to bass drum. But this impression i have might be wrong, the tone of the vocal came out in my mix is very similar to yours, in terms of opennes/brightness. So maybe it's good! Smile Great Job.

I've been blaming the brightness of my vocals on my rather 'hi-fi' leaning monitors. Can I ask what you are using for monitors? Also, just curious, do you audition your mixes on mobile devices?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(21-10-2019, 05:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(21-10-2019, 01:11 PM)Lethan Wrote: Great mix. Just wondering about the vocal placement and if it's not a bit too bright in contrast to bass drum. But this impression i have might be wrong, the tone of the vocal came out in my mix is very similar to yours, in terms of opennes/brightness. So maybe it's good! Smile Great Job.

I've been blaming the brightness of my vocals on my rather 'hi-fi' leaning monitors. Can I ask what you are using for monitors? Also, just curious, do you audition your mixes on mobile devices?

I own pair od Genelec 8030A, but mostly I mix using Shure SRH1840, I also check mix on HD650 and I also started checking mixes on laptop speakers!. It might sound funny but I started believing laptop speakers may say a lot about what is wrong with a mix, and I do notes.

(21-10-2019, 05:48 PM)Lethan Wrote:
(21-10-2019, 05:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

I own pair od Genelec 8030A, but mostly I mix using Shure SRH1840, I also check mix on HD650 and I also started checking mixes on laptop speakers!. It might sound funny but I started believing laptop speakers may say a lot about what is wrong with a mix, and I do notes.

Interesting. I tend to agree that small, low-fi devices can be more revealing of mix issues more than studio monitors. I have a pair of ROR G series (Dual 6" + Soft dome tweeter in a ported box). Dell desktop speakers with a sub (my main mix playback system), AKG K44 headphones and a pair of ear buds, plus the speaker in my android phone. the phone helps with mono compatibility and for the upper end mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi MITC, I like the choices you made in the mix - It definitely keeps the essence of the song intact. I like how you featured the jangly clean echoy guitar in the chorus - it works well. I love the drum and guitar sounds. Punchy and powerful

I had a listen to the mix both on my cruddy little 2.1 Auditek speakers at work, and my studio monitors. On my work speakers I noticed that the bass doesn't cut through as much as I personally would prefer for such a signature part of the track. On my studio monitors it represents better, but I think it could just have a little more low-mid presence to sound more muscular across all systems.

On the work speakers, I noticed that the vocals are very up-front and loud. The vocals themselves sound very good tonally, but when I turned up the speakers, they tended to make the mix a little strident and high-mid-loaded sounding. Again, the balance works a little better on my studio monitors, but particularly in the first part of the first verse with just the drums, bass and vocals , the vocals tend to sound a little "unglued" from the rest of the mix. It gets a bit better when the distorted guitars join, as the high mid content seems to be counterbalanced by the low mid content of the guitars, and it creates a better sense of "connectivity" between the different frequency ranges.

However, when the chorus hits, the "unglued vocal" sensation returns somewhat - perhaps because the jangly guitar and vocal sit in a similar frequency range as the vocal.

I think maybe warming up the bass in the low mids may hold some of the key, but I think a slightly tucked in lead vocal may work better to retain a sense of power in the instrumental part of the mix.

Overall, I enjoy a lot of things about the mix - thanks for sharing your take on it.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(22-10-2019, 10:23 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi MITC, I like the choices you made in the mix - It definitely keeps the essence of the song intact. I like how you featured the jangly clean echoy guitar in the chorus - it works well. I love the drum and guitar sounds. Punchy and powerful

I had a listen to the mix both on my cruddy little 2.1 Auditek speakers at work, and my studio monitors. On my work speakers I noticed that the bass doesn't cut through as much as I personally would prefer for such a signature part of the track. On my studio monitors it represents better, but I think it could just have a little more low-mid presence to sound more muscular across all systems.

On the work speakers, I noticed that the vocals are very up-front and loud. The vocals themselves sound very good tonally, but when I turned up the speakers, they tended to make the mix a little strident and high-mid-loaded sounding. Again, the balance works a little better on my studio monitors, but particularly in the first part of the first verse with just the drums, bass and vocals , the vocals tend to sound a little "unglued" from the rest of the mix. It gets a bit better when the distorted guitars join, as the high mid content seems to be counterbalanced by the low mid content of the guitars, and it creates a better sense of "connectivity" between the different frequency ranges.

However, when the chorus hits, the "unglued vocal" sensation returns somewhat - perhaps because the jangly guitar and vocal sit in a similar frequency range as the vocal.

I think maybe warming up the bass in the low mids may hold some of the key, but I think a slightly tucked in lead vocal may work better to retain a sense of power in the instrumental part of the mix.

Overall, I enjoy a lot of things about the mix - thanks for sharing your take on it.

Hey, Andrew.

Thanks for the good input. I have tried to address the issues you remarked about with this latest mix. Please let me know if I am moving in the proper direction.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
That's working better now - nice update!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases