Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte - Outa Control - Updated
Hi,

My mix. Comments welcome as usual. Thanks!

- Added revision 1.
- Added revision 2.
- Added revision 3.

(not sure why they appear in a strange order, but revision 3 is the latest).

.mp3    FytaKyte - Outa Control.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte - Outa Control - revision 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte - Outa Control - revision 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte - Outa Control - revision 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
The Mix sounds really good!
To me the Snare sound a bit papery perhaps you could give a bit more pound. At the guitar solo the vocals singing "everything is out of control" takes to much attention away from the solo. I'd lower the vocals there.

Just a thought.
Very tight mix. I like how "quiet" the feel on it is. Personally I don't like super loud main vocals so in my humble opinion it's quite upfront for my taste on this song. but it doesn't sound super out of place so that's good.
Keep it up it sounds good. balances are good.
(26-10-2019, 11:36 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: The Mix sounds really good!
To me the Snare sound a bit papery perhaps you could give a bit more pound. At the guitar solo the vocals singing "everything is out of control" takes to much attention away from the solo. I'd lower the vocals there.

Just a thought.

Hi! Thanks so much for listening and commenting.

Yes, I agree with you regarding the snare. The balance and eq of top/bottom snare in my mix is off, and I think I didn't quite get the phase alignment right also which is also causing some issues. I've also discovered the inconsistencies in the snare playing are also hurting my mix at certain points, especially the snare bottom mic. I also agree with your points regarding the vocals during the solo too. I'm going to have a go at addressing these problems and hope to post a revision soon. Thanks again for the comments.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(27-10-2019, 01:34 AM)Shul Wrote: Very tight mix. I like how "quiet" the feel on it is. Personally I don't like super loud main vocals so in my humble opinion it's quite upfront for my taste on this song. but it doesn't sound super out of place so that's good.
Keep it up it sounds good. balances are good.

Hi! Appreciate the listen and the comments.

I don't feel I have a good grasp of getting a good balance between the drums/vocals/guitars yet. It's true that I seem to be favouring more upfront vocals lately. I think that is more a side effect of digging in and spending the time to automate each vocal phrase to get more consistency, and 'more' out of the vocals. As you say too upfront vocals probably aren't the right thing for this song.

I did actually 'phone a friend' the other day to get some track recommendations for reference so I can get things back in perspective, regarding mix balance. If anyone has any particular favourite tracks they use for reference I'd also be interested.

I think I should be pushing the drums and guitars up more in the mix, and that I can also dig in and automate things up in the spaces between phrases and verses when I can. If I have the guitars out wide, then I can have them up in the mix without affecting the vocal too much.

Ok, I'm going to try balancing the vocals with the drums, then add in the bass then the guitars, and see how I get on. I've taken a copy of my original session anyway so I can always go back to it if I get it badly wrong.

I'll hopefully be able to post up another version soon.

Thanks again!
Hi!

I've added mix revision 1 to the original post, looking forward to any comments. Thanks!
(27-10-2019, 10:49 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I've added mix revision 1 to the original post, looking forward to any comments. Thanks!

The Snare sounds now better to me but is a lil low in level. Cheers!
Hi, appreciate you checking back. I've updated again, with mix revision 2. I spent some time experimenting with the drums, and upped the level of the bass a touch. Am I progressing along the right lines? Thanks!
Hi,

Made a few more tweaks and posted revision 3. Thanks.