Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Tapes - Shore
Hi guys

Here is my version of Motor Tapes - Shore

What a great track to mix. The "dreamy" sound of the song is what I really love about it.

Let me know what you think

CHECK OUT POST SIX FOR MY REVISED VERSION OF THE TRACK!!!

.mp3    Motor Tapes - Shore - Mixed by Gerrit.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Hello

Nice mix. To me it sounds well balanced.
But one thing to improve your mix could be the depht.
All drums sounds a little dry and close. Sometimes even in front of the lead voc.
Maybe add little presence to lead voc with eq or add a little reverb to the drums.
That part with guitar solo and toms. Guitar is really big but toms sound like they are next to me.
Those drums want that "dreamy" sound too Wink
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
I generally really like this mix.

2 things I´ll suggest you consider if you mix it again:

The guitars in verses sound really well and blend fine, but their level makes the chorus smaller.
By turnin them down just a bit you can also have voice down there 1/dB or so, makin chorus seem bigger.
If thats what youre after, I dont know why were talkin about this - chorus should be bigger stuff, but its a very common sentense around here. If you like what you have in verse please keep it, I only mention it because were all talkin about those chorus/verse lvls.

And the only rule is there are no rules Big Grin

2nd tho tom sound in solo doesnt really add anything in my opinion, it lives best a lot under the level it has now, I would suggest if you want to strengthen rhythm there, balancin the tom to rest o the kit and turnin drumbus up a dB or so.

I admire you used only the supplied tracks and got this out of it. I had to fill all knd o padding to make the sound I wanted. I really like your verses, beautiful sound on specially the guitars.

And your bas sounds ALOT better than mine. What did you do ??
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(04-11-2013, 03:47 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: Hello

Nice mix. To me it sounds well balanced.
But one thing to improve your mix could be the depht.
All drums sounds a little dry and close. Sometimes even in front of the lead voc.
Maybe add little presence to lead voc with eq or add a little reverb to the drums.
That part with guitar solo and toms. Guitar is really big but toms sound like they are next to me.
Those drums want that "dreamy" sound too Wink

Thank you!

HAHAHAHA!!! Cool man, I get what you're saying.
When I was mixing I was changing the amount of reverb on the drums all the time.
I just couldn't make up my mind about how much reverb they needed.
Thanks for the advice, I'll play around with it some more and ADD more "DREAMYNESS" Big Grin
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(04-11-2013, 04:02 PM)Voelund Wrote: I generally really like this mix.

2 things I´ll suggest you consider if you mix it again:

The guitars in verses sound really well and blend fine, but their level makes the chorus smaller.
By turnin them down just a bit you can also have voice down there 1/dB or so, makin chorus seem bigger.
If thats what youre after, I dont know why were talkin about this - chorus should be bigger stuff, but its a very common sentense around here. If you like what you have in verse please keep it, I only mention it because were all talkin about those chorus/verse lvls.

And the only rule is there are no rules Big Grin

2nd tho tom sound in solo doesnt really add anything in my opinion, it lives best a lot under the level it has now, I would suggest if you want to strengthen rhythm there, balancin the tom to rest o the kit and turnin drumbus up a dB or so.

I admire you used only the supplied tracks and got this out of it. I had to fill all knd o padding to make the sound I wanted. I really like your verses, beautiful sound on specially the guitars.

And your bas sounds ALOT better than mine. What did you do ??

That's exactly what I was after. To get the choruses bigger/louder. The overall level of the track is just too "flat" all the way through.
Don't know why I didn't think of such a simple yet effective solution.
I'm definitely going to implement your advice. THANKS!

Okay, 'cause I was playing around with the toms WAY TOO MUCH.
Couldn't decide whether I wanted them right in front or further back with the rest of the kit!
What you say makes a lot of sense though. I didn't try lifting the level of the whole kit in that solo section. I'll give it a try tomorrow! Cool

Thanks a lot
I didn't do very much to the guitars regarding FX. Was mostly EQ and compression and here and there some stereo widening.
One thing that drove me crazy was on the 1st guitar track. It had a pinching sound around 600 or 800Hz. At a low volume it wasn't very noticeable but as soon as I turned up the volume I could hear that damn frequency stabbing at my eardrums.
Found the same thing happening on some of the other guitar tracks.
So I spent a lot of time listening to each guitar track and playing around with the EQ untill I got rid of those frequencies.

What I do like about yours is the fullness of the mix, it was what I was trying to achieve, but you nailed it!
All that padding paid off!

HAHAHA!!!! Man, I don't even want to go there! The bass drove me insane!!!
I started of with the "amp" track but as much as I tried I couldn't get rid of the Boxyness it had.
Then I muted it and tried the "DI" track but that was too hollow and "electronic"
I ended up using both tracks and some severe EQ on both of them. Then I made use of the Jack Joseph Bass plugin on both bass tracks to get it the sound I wanted! I still don't think it's perfect but I'm done trying. Dodgy

Cool!
Regards.
Gerrit
Okay guys.

Taking your comments and suggestions in consideration, I reworked the track.

In a nutshell:

1.I cut some of the low end on the kick.
2.Thinned out the snare and gave it more reverb especially in the solo section.
3.Lowered the toms and added more reverb to them.
4.Lowered all the guitars and lead vocals in the verses and boosted them slightly in the choruses.

I'm very happy with the way it sounds, let me know what you think! Cool

Cheers
Gerrit

.mp3    Motor Tapes - Shore (4th Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)