Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pony
Hi, this is my take on Pony.
A lot of things to say on this one. First things to address were misaligned stems for the drums, a completely unusable backing vocals track that I dropped, and a detuned guitar that I repitched 45 cents up.

My big struggle has been dealing with the guitar tone. They were so distorted! like a big wall of sound, so each eq step had to be done carfully.
I didn't know what to do with 4 guitar tracks so I tried to pan them -70% -30% 30% 70% and keep the rhythmic elements in the middle and melodic ones in the side. Maybe the guitar is a bit too present on verses.

The bass was also a problem, constantly droning in the lows. It's a good effect for the verses, but on the full song it gets pretty fatiguing. So I side-chained it with the kick, and also created a high-passed duplicate not to lose the attack to compression.

Experimentally I put reverb on the snare. And side-chained it to compress all 4 guitars and cut through more easily. Idk what to think about it. There's also a sweeping eq automation on the first verse, that sounds like a flanger. I don't know if that's good either.

I wish I could make the mix a bit cleaner, it still sounds evil. I'm not content with the guitar tone, and the overheads ain't good either.

What do you think ? please leave your comments

.mp3    pony 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.37 MB)