Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund: 'Comfort Lives In Belief' - Olli H
Here's my first try with Voelund's great song.

Thanks for sharing your music here! There's not too many songs to mix around here with authentic oldschool feel.

I tried to do a modern retro sound, whatever it means. While mixing I listend mainly Bonnie Rait's and Bob Dylan's grammy winning records which have somewhat similar instrumentation.

The bass was quite difficult.

When comping the guitar, my guideline was, that I wanted the guitar to feel like it was played live by the singer.

I might do another version with real records from 60's and 70's as sonical and balancial reference.

.mp3    Voelund-Comfort-Lives-In-Belief-olli-h-2013-11-04.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

beautiful mix, Olli!!! yes, quite hard bass but with a little bit of time and some plugins, can be tamed!
mixing since April 2013
Very good mix, very very good comp, did I play that ? And very big smile on my face.
Cheers and a big thumbs up smiley Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks everybody!

(04-11-2013, 03:34 PM)Voelund Wrote: did I play that ?

Sorry, but I replaced them. Mark Knopfler was visiting us the other day, and I asked him to do new vocals and guitar part for this otherwise perfect song. Smile

Sounds fantastic Olli Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-11-2013, 04:25 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks everybody!

(04-11-2013, 03:34 PM)Voelund Wrote: did I play that ?

Sorry, but I replaced them. Mark Knopfler was visiting us the other day, and I asked him to do new vocals and guitar part for this otherwise perfect song. Smile

Thats very warmin words Olli. Thank you.
Guess you know I admire his songwriting, singin and guitar playin and tone.
Hope you fed him well Big Grin
I heard he likes steak and potatoes, he sings so on his latest cd Big Grin
It lived in my car since I got it.

Its recorded in his fantastic studio and sounds perfect.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(04-11-2013, 11:52 AM)Olli H Wrote: Here's my first try with Voelund's great song.

Thanks for sharing your music here! There's not too many songs to mix around here with authentic oldschool feel.

I tried to do a modern retro sound, whatever it means. While mixing I listend mainly Bonnie Rait's and Bob Dylan's grammy winning records which have somewhat similar instrumentation.

When comping the guitar, my guideline was, that I wanted the guitar to feel like it was played live by the singer.

I might do another version with real records from 60's and 70's as sonical and balancial reference.

Love the nice clean sound here. Lots of definition among the instruments, and you got that vocal balance spot on, high enough to be intelligible at all times but low enough so it lets the power of the musical arrangement shine through. Smile

Only issues I can hear are with the guitar and snare; both are a bit overbearing. I'd bring the guitar down about 3 dB, the snare about 2, maybe 3.

Otherwise, a solid mix. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(06-11-2013, 01:54 AM)Voelund Wrote: Guess you know I admire (Knopfler's) songwriting, singin and guitar playin and tone.

Always loved his score for The Princess Bride, one of my favorite movies of all time.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hello Olli, very nice and live mix. Bob Dylan was in my mind too when i was mixing the same song. You are right about the bass, i think that this bass is masked by the keys and the guitars.
Bravo again!!
(04-11-2013, 11:52 AM)Olli H Wrote: Here's my first try with Voelund's great song.

hi there,

i actually only found out by accident that Voelund had some work posted up! sometimes i think i am a mushroom Undecided

i fully agree with your obs on the bass guitar...it was difficult. the low-end needed tightening up to remove the flab, while the upper stuff needed transforming back to a bass guitar. i think this thing had a split personality...Voelund likes to challenge us, eh? Wink Your bass was causing low-mid congestion for me though i think if you'd tightened it up, this would have resolved the conflict for me.

my major criticism is with your acoustic guitar (panned right). i think you over did the EQ to make it cut through and in so doing, made it fatiguing on the ear...and VERY uncomfortable. you had me running for the exit!

adding to the discomfort was the sibilance of the vocal, though the original source was a nightmare, it must be said, which didn't help. normally, a plugin would deal with it, but it wasn't enough for me. i ended up using a combination approach so as to achieve as much presence as possible, yet deal with the sibilance....a challenge similar to drinking a pint of beer while smoking a cigar at the same time!? my final assault during mastering, came from a multiband (on the Mid) for some dynamic EQ, nothing else could get close enough to it.

all good fun, eh?
cheers
Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!