Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
B&K: Brahms's Hungarian Dance No. 5 - My attempt
Hi guys, just recently started mixing. If some of you could give me constructive feedback on my take. I did not do a lot, just eq'd all instruments trying to position them side by side kind of. I did add a bit of reverb on the sax track. That would be pretty much everything I did. If you all have inputs, criticism or advices that would be fantastic.

Cheers guys

.mp3    Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 3.32 MB)

The guitar sounds pretty buzzy. I think the direct input track is not helpful in this recording for that reason. The guitar often sounds a little louder than the saxophone which doesn't seem appropriate since this is a solo with accompaniment. If you want to make them equal, than might be permissible, too.

I'm glad that you acted with restraint on this mix. The panning is fine, and the reverb is minimal. I think the reverb is too minimal in this case and is not flattering at all.

Keep up the good work!
Hi. I would address the strange cuts happening from 1:38. The guitar and sax just vanish instantly without resonance and it feels unnatural. It's actually happening on the whole track, but that moment gave it out. Did you use a gate ? that could be the explaination.

So yeah, the sax sounds great, but the guitar is rather inappropriately sounding