Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROAR - Mix in three hours
I've tried to mix the song in one day and managed to get an "acceptable" result in a few hours...

Tell me what you honestly think, I'm not a pro, but I really enjoyed working on this project Smile

.mp3    ROAR.mp3 --  (Download: 5.8 MB)

Life isn't about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself.
After a quick listen, the tones and balance feel good. I'd rather more of the BgVx. The effects strike me as a bit forced. They seem cool but out of place.

I do feel this song is about motion and the frequent mutes, while creative, don't really fit or do the song justice. If anything all the rhythm parts are designed to invoke movement. The rhythm section is as lyrical as the vocal. Breaking that motion doesn't feel right, at least to me. I'd say as a compromise maybe have an element or filtered version of the rhythm section continuing through the breaks. More of a change of focus. Blur the movement into the background but don't lose the contrast. That way you can have the narrator have his moment of reflection but still have a subdued, but thematically inescapable motion underneath.

Ultimately, you have the balances down. It's a technically good mix. Now support the emotion of the song. Which is both more important and more difficult.

Yes, I am drunk, what of it?
(06-10-2019, 05:15 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: After a quick listen, the tones and balance feel good. I'd rather more of the BgVx. The effects strike me as a bit forced. They seem cool but out of place.

I do feel this song is about motion and the frequent mutes, while creative, don't really fit or do the song justice. If anything all the rhythm parts are designed to invoke movement. The rhythm section is as lyrical as the vocal. Breaking that motion doesn't feel right, at least to me. I'd say as a compromise maybe have an element or filtered version of the rhythm section continuing through the breaks. More of a change of focus. Blur the movement into the background but don't lose the contrast. That way you can have the narrator have his moment of reflection but still have a subdued, but thematically inescapable motion underneath.

Ultimately, you have the balances down. It's a technically good mix. Now support the emotion of the song. Which is both more important and more difficult.

Yes, I am drunk, what of it?

Wow! That's what I call a really precise review, Thank you.

I also felt there was little "movement" in the song, that's why I tried to mute some tracks and distribute the chorus all around the main vox.

I'll try something else, as you suggested, for the background low-frequencies instruments, cause I think you got the point
Life isn't about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself.