Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long way home
Another song I mixed. Main vocal came a little brighter than I would like, otherwise I think that it is a good mix. And a great song.

.mp3    long way home mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

I'm not hearing the vocals as too bright, but I think the dry signal could come up and sit on top of the vocal fx. That extra distortion to the guitar sounds pretty cool too!
Very nice, Smooth and articulate with a great environment. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Version 2. Now I think that I refined it. I used dynamic EQ and I think that it works as it should. Vocal retains the brightness but is less brittle than it was before.

.mp3    home2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

3rd revision. I changed the panning of acoustics and now the solo guitar in the intros sounds more polite. I heard that when it was distorted, it felt wrong somehow for me, that is why I made that change.

.mp3    long way home v3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

I like the tone of V3. It's a bit 'dreamy' but it works. I think the bass guitar might be a little heavy/out in front at times. The vocal reverb might be a bit too much. At least in the verses. The vocal also could be out front just a hair more in the choruses. This feels like a photograph and the background elements are bit blurred, which is fine but the vocal could be more in focus in contrast.
Guitar 1 (I think) should come back in the second verse.
I don't know if you have a mix bus compressor but overall the mix feels a little 'constrained' during the louder sections at the end.

I think that's it. It's pleasant to listen. Good job.
My answer is a bit too late, but I do have limiter and tape simulation plugins on mix bus.