Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
David Tyo: 'Long Way Home'
Hi GuysCool

.mp3    LongWayHome_Master_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 11.63 MB)

good~~!
Like everything but the reverb around the vocal. Low mid imbalance against the clarity of the ensemble.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I feel like it's a bit 'aggressive' in the upper mids. The intro guitar and snare/stick both are 'pointed' and takes away from the warmth of the song. The vocal feels midrangey. I'm not hearing the reverb as MitC pointed out but we might be hearing the same thing.
When I mixed the song, I focused on the mix of Chris Lord Elge.  theory of a deadman - santa monica.  he has fundamental drums and bass.  as well as crisp and clear vocals throughout the song.
I'd still stand by my observations but I'd just say most of the issues are in the mids as opposed to upper mids. 500-2k. this song has always had issues at 500hz. 470hz seems to be a dominant area of the vocal track. So much so that I wonder if he used some Neve-Type eq and boosted at that frequency. Over the mix balances feel fine. I think a bit of mastering with some cutting in the 500-2k range might soften things up. Some dipping in the 4k range would make the lead guitar and snare less harsh.