Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Back Mix, Smiley Style
Love the passion in the lead vocal on these tracks. Unfortunately, it sounds like he was right up on the mic which made it pretty muddy. I tried fixing with some EQ and compression. Really nice room mic sound, I could almost run everything from that! Love to hear some comments.

.mp3    Seat Back 01-001.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

I listened to a few other mixes and got inspired to tweak a little. The prominence of the "ooooo" sections was starting to really bug me. I brought the vocals down during this section to make it more of a background instrument type sound. Did I go too far down? I got really bold and took them out of the ending entirely. I think it's a better way to wrap up the song, what do you think?
I also tried some targeted compression on the lead vocal to cut some more of the big popping sounds.
I also thought my drum mix was a little low overall and in particular, my snare wasn't popping very much. I had a hard time with this snare sound, I wish it was clean enough to use a trigger and blend in some samples.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

.mp3    Seat Back 02.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

(01-11-2019, 02:10 AM)JimSmiley Wrote: I listened to a few other mixes and got inspired to tweak a little. The prominence of the "ooooo" sections was starting to really bug me. I brought the vocals down during this section to make it more of a background instrument type sound. Did I go too far down? I got really bold and took them out of the ending entirely. I think it's a better way to wrap up the song, what do you think?
I also tried some targeted compression on the lead vocal to cut some more of the big popping sounds.
I also thought my drum mix was a little low overall and in particular, my snare wasn't popping very much. I had a hard time with this snare sound, I wish it was clean enough to use a trigger and blend in some samples.

Harrison Mixbus 32C Mackie Monitors Windows 10
not bad at all
Harrison Mixbus 32C Mackie Monitors Windows 10
(01-11-2019, 02:10 AM)JimSmiley Wrote: I listened to a few other mixes and got inspired to tweak a little.  The prominence of the "ooooo" sections was starting to really bug me.  I brought the vocals down during this section to make it more of a background instrument type sound.  Did I go too far down? I got really bold and took them out of the ending entirely.  I think it's a better way to wrap up the song, what do you think?
In this mix I realized a frequency on the left guitar, maybe around 1200-1500 Hz?

Only "complaint" though! I like your take on it