Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund - 'Comfort Lives In Belief'
Difficult mix for one simple reason: it's the song of a dear friend and I feel some pressure to make it sound not good, but GREAT!

Some people tell me that I work better under pressure, so let's see if in this case they're right or not.

But whatever you think of my mix -and of course, advice will always be welcomed- I had a great time working on this beautiful song!

Thank you, Niels for letting us have the chance to mix one of your songs!! Smile

.mp3    Voelund - Comfort Lives in Belief.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I really enjoyd you made a comp o the guitar. Thank you and am I right its your first comp ? Great Juan.
Overal a fine mix, the drums live fine centered, just me havin this crazy idea of oldschool and 4 tracks and panned hard left Big Grin
The cymbals could come up a bit, specially the rides, and the kick and snare as i remember have more impact, but could be down to the strange effect it gives puttin all drums to one side and thus eliminating the fight between bas n kick. A little :-) Speakin of which, the bas could have little more body, its one of those instruments you buy when you want one and dont have the money and heres a cheap one, and it reflects in the sound. Runnin it through some bass amp sim, addin some saturation, maybe givin it the airwindows mudslide treatment http://www.airwindows.com/freebies.html is known to make it sound better.

Juan I would buy you a cup o coffee or a beer if you were livin around the corner. For now accept a "thank you" for makin a fine mix of this little song

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yes, it's the first comp I've done in my life. I got the parts from the three tracks that I thought that would fit better in the song and there you got the result!

Now the rides are a little bit higher and I've added a bass amp. By the way, is the bass too loud now? I think it was too low in my initial mix.

I couldn't use the plugins from that site you suggested because I don't have a mac and they don't work on windows. So you can see that you're not the only one buying cheap stuff Big Grin

Anyway, a coffee or a beer will be welcomed some day! you can count on the same thing if you ever come to the south of Spain!

.mp3    Voelund - Comfort Lives in Belief(2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Those little things make a great diffrence and it sounds much better.
You made some great comping choices I should have thought of :-)
And for your level choices its very interesting how we favor difrent instruments and frequencies.
I really think you made a fine mix of this.
Lookin forward to the spanish coffee, its not much more than 3000 kilometers is it Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Listening to version 2 ,sounds good Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I listened the second version.

I like the guitar sound. And vocal sound as such feels good. And most of the time instrument balance and frequency balance feels good.

So it feels good, but the same time overall space or feeling feels a little bit boxy. I'm not sure what is causing it. Maybe all the things that Voelund mentioned after your first mix, are still issues where you could work little more to make this open.

Backgrounds create nicely big space, but vocals feels to be in a box.
I think in this song the main task is to make vocals feel just right, and that's the main thing you should focus, if you plan to develop your mix.

You could use mute-button with shaker here and there. If it's so front all the time, it makes ears tired. But if it comes in every now and then, it's a good effect.

So, I think it's just some small things and tweaks and you have accomplished the task you mentioned in your first post.
Hi, Olli! the shaker can be easily fixed, but I don't really understand what you mean that the vocals are in a box. Do you mean that they're not wide enough or that they sound boxy?
mixing since April 2013
(04-11-2013, 06:30 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Hi, Olli! the shaker can be easily fixed, but I don't really understand what you mean that the vocals are in a box. Do you mean that they're not wide enough or that they sound boxy?

I'm not sure, but maybe I mean that the widthness of vocals don't match nicely with some other sounds in your mix.

If you have time, check this video someday.
http://www.puremix.net/video/gearfest-20...vocal.html
It's free but you have to sign in.

Pay attention how Fab Dupont uses three different reverbs to add width, depth and height to vocal sound. Especially that width part. End result is still dry vocal sound but the difference is huge. That's the best free introduction to reverbs I've seen. And it gives you ideas how to listen reverbs and dry sounds. I'm sure you'll like it.

BTW that song is available here for you to mix (if you haven't tried it yet):
http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#WillKnox

the video was very interesting and I learned something good about delays and reverbs that I've already started to apply on the mix.

The difference is subtle because I didn't want to drown the lead vocals in reverbs, but I think that if you pay attention, you can hear the difference.

I've already downloaded the tracks to mix that song Big Grin

Thanks, Olli!!!!

.mp3    Voelund - Comfort Lives in Belief.mp3 --  (Download: 4.42 MB)

mixing since April 2013
nice work

The balance could still use a tuning. Wink