Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Last Night's Gig - Eric Nilsson Mix
Hello!

This is my take on the song, hope you enjoy!

I did the Eq:ing with Api 560s
The Compression with Api 2500s
The Reverb is Valhalla vintage Verb.
All individual tracks and the Stereo Out went through J37 tape emulation for some subtle saturation.
The J37s where also used for its delay function to give the main vocals and the electric guitar slapback delays.

Please comment on my mix, it would make me very happy.

.mp3    last night\'s gig - Eric Nilsson mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

There are some balance issues. Drums (especially snare) are high.

Modulation effects could have been used with different approach.
(06-12-2020, 06:51 PM)Gork Wrote: There are some balance issues. Drums (especially snare) are high.

Modulation effects could have been used with different approach.
Thanks for your comment! I listened to the mix just now and I agree with you about the balance issues.
I think I’m going to give this one another go, starting from scratch. Hopefully I have learnt something since the time I did this one.

I guess you could always do things with different approaches and that I thought the delay sounded good at the time, do you have any thoughts or ideas about it, how would you have gone about it? (I guess you mean the slap delay when you say modulation effects?)
Yes I meant slap delay and possibly the others.

Slap delay on your vocals are ok but at the final vocal modulation effects processing are not enough to get much fuller sound.

We can talk on an exapmle : Make a couple of delays. Start with 90-140 ms, 200-230ms, 400-480ms, 600-700ms (lenghts may change). Send vocal signal to these delays and listen their effects. Also you can send delay auxes to a reverb to get delays sound smoother. You can try this on other melodic instruments.
(07-12-2020, 01:01 AM)Gork Wrote: Yes I meant slap delay and possibly the others.

Slap delay on your vocals are ok but at the final vocal modulation effects processing are not enough to get much fuller sound.

We can talk on an exapmle : Make a couple of delays. Start with 90-140 ms, 200-230ms, 400-480ms, 600-700ms (lenghts may change). Send vocal signal to these delays and listen their effects. Also you can send delay auxes to a reverb to get delays sound smoother. You can try this on other melodic instruments.
Im not 100% sure but I don't think there is any other effects (besides eq and compression) on the vocals than just the slap going in to a reverb.
The technique you are describing are something Im using from time to time as well, layering different delays and reverbs but i guess i did not find it suitable for this genre. For me this kind of music makes me want to do thing in a simpler way, since that was kind of more what they had to work with in its glory days. But hey, I guess its all down to personal preference and there is of course no wrong way to do things as long as you think it sound good.

Thanks again for your comment, going to go through my “old projects hard drive” today and give this one a new go.