Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses Mix
Here's my take on the song. Really wish I could have engineered the recording of this piece.

.mp3    Dark Horses MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

It's a bit chunky, and I'm not happy with electric 1 and 2 - won't be able to fix it for a bit, though.
(12-09-2019, 06:05 PM)vicenzajay Wrote: It's a bit chunky, and I'm not happy with electric 1 and 2 - won't be able to fix it for a bit, though.

Subtly different mix. Less "tacky" on the acoustic, and I like the first two electrics better at this level/panning.

.mp3    Dark Horses MP3 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

I like how your approach supports the song's natural vibe.

The only thing that pokes out to me is the drums, the solo and the vocals.

The drums sounds ... well, odd, I guess. They doesn't really sound natural. I'm sorry, but not a fan.

In the guitar solo it sounds like you've overcooked the signal.

The vocals seems a bit to the dry side, and at some points it sounds like you're about to - you don't, but you're close - have too much proximity effect on the lead.

Overall, I like the apporach.

Keep up the good work and stay healthy
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Thanks, Krabbe - love the feedback. I won't revisit the mix given its age at this point (and it's not a paid thing!) - but I would (as always) love the artist's vision for some of these in order to know what to go for when mixing the song. I agree the snare sounds overprocessed/sampled to me as well - but I used the tracks provided. I could certainly revisit the lead as well - leave it more similar to the level used when the vocal is still in.

I guess I'm agreeing with you on pretty much everything now that I listen to it again after half a year. Although I think I'll defend my take on the vocal. I wanted an up-close, in your face vocal that really fit the song's feel. I think I nailed that, to be honest.

Cheers and stay safe!