Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burning Bridges - My Mix in my humble opinion
Was fun to mixSmile Check out my interpretation of Happy Pills by Candlebox

.mp3    Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

the drums don't really push the song like they should, but it's not too bad and you only have to make them 1-2 dB louder. Because of that, a lot of details are not really there, like tom rolls, hi-hat/cymbal accents, and more good stuff. The snare is almost completely buried in every chorus (it's probably fighting with the vocals I guess). Hihat sounds like a long shhhshh instead of a tz tz tz tz, cymbals are not loud enough.

Other stuff

- Bass and Hihat come in too loud in the solo part
- The first solo is like 1-2 dB too loud, the second solo is more 3-4 dB too loud and both are sticking out of the mix like sore spots. you should bring them down until they fit better into the mix.
- The second solo would benefit from a bit more ambiance aka delay.
- There are also some weird volume jumps in the melody guitars in the last chorus- i guess you want to bring them into the spotlight with volume automation but it is a bit too much, even for a guitar player like me Smile

I think it's a very good start and you don't have to change much to bring it up to the top level. Most of the stuff I´ve mentioned is quite obvious if you listen to the song with fresh ears.

1. Start with raising the drums by 1-2 db. Check if that fixes the problems with the toms, snare and the missing cymbal details. Don't go crazy on this one, but check if you have to bring the hat and kick down when you make the drums louder. Nobody wants a "hello, give me all your attention" kick in a song like this. It's perfect in your current mix and it should stay right there.
2. Do small volume adjustments for the solo/melody guitars and bring them more in line with the rest of the music.

If you don't make drastic changes and tweak the problems with caution, you will end up with a great mix. DON't overdo/overthink this, or start to make silly eq adjustments. It's at 95%, now add the last 5%.
Thanks so much
Duly Noted!