Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summertime - Bass Added, Feedback Requested
Hi folks!
This is my first time here and first mix of other people's music, I had up till now only mixed out band's recordings. Feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Summertime.mp3 --  (Download: 3.72 MB)

(02-09-2019, 10:01 PM)Erik1 Wrote: Hi folks!
This is my first time here and first mix of other people's music, I had up till now only mixed out band's recordings. Feedback is appreciated.

Hey Erik, that's a nice work! Congrats!

Personally I would hi-pass the guitar because it's masking that nice bass line you added. Not too much. Just a little...

The other thing is the reverb. Looks like you added a hall (you'll tell me...). In my opinion it's a little too loud on the sax. It's nice, but too distracting for some moments. Although you could just lower the send (or the return of the Fx channel), many people recommends to eq the reverbs to filter out the lows and the super high frequencies. That is something you could try. It cleans the tail and it places the reverb behind the instruments...

Anyway, I sincerelly enjoyed you mix.
(02-09-2019, 11:05 PM)Iñaki Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:01 PM)Erik1 Wrote: Hi folks!

Hey Erik, that's a nice work! Congrats!

Personally I would hi-pass the guitar because it's masking that nice bass line you added. Not too much. Just a little...

The other thing is the reverb. Looks like you added a hall (you'll tell me...). In my opinion it's a little too loud on the sax. It's nice, but too distracting for some moments. Although you could just lower the send (or the return of the Fx channel), many people recommends to eq the reverbs to filter out the lows and the super high frequencies. That is something you could try. It cleans the tail and it places the reverb behind the instruments...

Anyway, I sincerelly enjoyed you mix.
Hi Iñaki,
Thanks for the critique. I did in fact use a hall 'verb on the sax. What I did was pan the close 1&2 mics a bit right and left respectively to give a little separation and added the reverb to the far mic only. I took your advise and dialed the reverb back to around -30db on the far sax mike and added a high pass to the guitar. Made a noticeable difference, thank you.
Nice sound Erik. I enjoyed the inclusion of the bass. Some creative variation, mutes and upper octave parts could really compliment this one. I guess it would be a balancing act adding to what it is and not turning it into what it's not. Very cool just the same.
Not quite in the same style as this, but I've always liked the James Last version of the this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRytGYlwbWs
(03-09-2019, 11:34 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice sound Erik. I enjoyed the inclusion of the bass. Some creative variation, mutes and upper octave parts could really compliment this one. I guess it would be a balancing act adding to what it is and not turning it into what it's not. Very cool just the same.
Not quite in the same style as this, but I've always liked the James Last version of the this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRytGYlwbWs
Thank you for your comments, I tried to add a little groove with the bass line without going overboard and re-making the song. I agree that there's a fine line between keeping it true to the original feel and changing it into something completely different. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I'll check out the James Last version when I get home tonight, thanks for the link.