Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Final Version)
31-08-2019, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2019 04:58 PM by Eastwood.)
The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Final Version)
Hi there!

Here is my final mix of "Seat Back" by The Penniless Wild.
I hope you enjoy, please leave any comments or questions below Smile

Cheers,
Eastwood

.mp3   The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Eastwood Mix C.2).mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2019, 12:00 AM
RE: The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Eastwood Mix)
The instruments in the intro are done really really well. I think the vocal is a bit dry and that makes it sit in front of the mix instead of sitting into it.

What made you tone things down for the solo? I personally feel like the song builds itself up and from the solo onward it gains energy and a certain bigness. But your take on it was still well done. You definitely find a way to make every instrument clear and defined and give them room in the mix
02-09-2019, 12:30 AM
Hi Dilly!

Thanks for the comments you posted, I might revisit this mix over the next few days and will keep your suggestions in mind! You were asking about the solo guitar part and my idea there was to try and feature both the guitar AND the drums, but I am considering adjusting the solo guitar a few dB and then adding some gain to the section overall. I might also experiment, as you mentioned, by adding some effect to the vocal but I kinda like it dry and up front for now.

Regards,
Eastwood
08-09-2019, 03:18 AM
(01-09-2019 12:00 AM)Dilly Waffles Wrote:  The instruments in the intro are done really really well. I think the vocal is a bit dry and that makes it sit in front of the mix instead of sitting into it.

What made you tone things down for the solo? I personally feel like the song builds itself up and from the solo onward it gains energy and a certain bigness. But your take on it was still well done. You definitely find a way to make every instrument clear and defined and give them room in the mix

Hello Dilly Waffles,

I have posted a new mix taking into consideration your comments above.
I have adjusted the vocal so now it isn't as dry. I have also remixed the drums throughout the song, and the solo guitar section. If you have some time, please let me know what you think Smile

Thanks!
Eastwood
10-09-2019, 06:58 AM
RE: The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Updated!)
Hey,

the overall volume of each instruments seems really good for my taste! Also for me the main Vocals could use a litte more low cut/shelf. The pop and low breathing noises are pretty loud i think. Also you might consider to tune the background vocals, that worked wonders for my mix. Smile
11-09-2019, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 01:38 AM by Eastwood.)
Hi Hainwerker,

Thanks for the added comments! I think I might have a try at taming some of the lead vocal plosives in the intro but instead of cutting frequencies I might go for more of a de-essing type of approach. Thanks also for your suggestion regarding the background vocals. I think I might try my hand at changing the overall blend and volume rather than tuning - because I think the singers knew what pitch they were trying to achieve and I feel like I might have missed the balance rather than there being a poor performance issue there. As is always the case, I could be wrong! I’ll try to post another edition soon.

Thanks again,
Eastwood
15-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Hi Eastwood, nice balance overall.
Lead vocal is really too dry for me. The choice of panning the keyboards makes it even more evident.
The rest is more about taste.
The bass seems a bit heavy handed on low frequencies.
The kick sounds a bit muffled, maybe scoop a bit in the area 300-400Hz?
16-09-2019, 01:53 AM
Hi Hainwerker and pmilani!

I have added a new mix taking into consideration your comments above. Thanks for taking the time to review my mix! I did some work on the main vocal plosives, and also made some changes to the background vocals. In the new mix I reduced the overall bass level and added some EQ on the kick. I guess the only suggestion I didn't address was pmilani's idea to add more reverb to the main vocal. I've already made an adjustment here based on Hainwerker's suggestion, so I think I'll just let it ride for a while.

Thanks again!
Eastwood
18-09-2019, 10:06 PM
RE: The Penniless Wild - Seat Back (Another Update!)
Hi!

Added a new mix, a little more reverb on the vocal and some work on the lower frequencies. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Eastwood

Support my video work!
Advertisement: