Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little experiment - Justin Myles Alone With You
Hi

I did a little experiment with this one. I was curious what would be possible to achieve by only using the DAW and as few free plugins as possible? I'm using Harrison Mixbus32C DAW that is an emulation of the famous Mixbus 32C console used by Micheal Jackson, Supertramp, Abba, Queen ++ back in the 70't. Here's the result, only Mixbus32C DAW, one reverb, two EQs and a compressor, all free plugins made by the Ardour team.

This mix is also made to sound like the good sounding records from the 70'-80' when air/space, separation and dept was important. So to listeners that are used to listen to heavy compressed mixes take the time to listen to an other type of mixes and sound.

And by the way, I'm not into the loudness war, so if you should have a good listening experience you have to TURN UP the volume a bit.

If you have feedback, let it flow.

Steinar :-)

Version 2: I got a comment from a sound engineer colleague of mine that the snare could sound a bit compressed. It's not compressed, but I use parallel compression on most, also the drums. I agree with him, so I turned down the parallel compression a bit and uploaded a new version. Should be better now and it's more life sounding.

If someone want to listen to the .wav file: http://bit.ly/2qh4YPC

.mp3    JustinMyles_AloneWithYou.mp3 --  (Download: 17.22 MB)

.mp3    JustinMyles_AloneWithYou_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 17.32 MB)

Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface