Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FRIGGY MIX - Contact
27-08-2019, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2019 07:34 AM by Friggy.)
FRIGGY MIX - Contact
Updated with Mix V2
Brought up the instruments, which filled out the sides more.
I kept horns left, guitar right, just used some more reverb to let them fill out the stereo space.

Trimmed the song to start how I thought sounded good, and also got rid of the noise in the B3 tracks.

Some tweaks to the vocal to keep it above the drums, horns and guitar.
There's some strong plosives and fffs in there still, but I think I'd need to do some editing to remove those. So for now i'll leave it.

Code:
Still some work to do, mainly more automation, and i'm sure some other tweaks will be needed after I come back to this song in a day or two.

Great song though! All the tones sounded great, and I hope I did decent with the cymbal bleed into the vocal mic.

Thanks for listening!Big Grin

.mp3   00-Contact MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.39 MB)

.mp3   00-Contact MixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.33 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2019, 01:43 PM
RE: FRIGGY MIX - Contact
The noise just prior to the song (and at the end) caught my ear and distracted me well into the first verse, if I'm honest. I wish the horns were "wetter". And maybe a little wider. They provide an opportunity to open up the song as opposed to having them fit in the band.

I want to say this version feels fast to me. I could be wrong and waiting for my coffee to kick in. But it does feel like it's pushing tempo wise. I'd blame the sample rate but the pitch feels ok. It's probably just me. I've never done cocaine but for some reason this triggers that feeling in me. I totally accept that this is probably just me.

Anyway, overall it feels ok. I think the horns could support the song more and the vocals could probably be thinned out a bit.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
A mix doesn't have to be good, it just has to sound good.
27-08-2019, 11:58 PM
RE: FRIGGY MIX - Contact
For the panning I matched where I could hear the instruments in the overhead mics, which was guitar a bit right and horns a bit left. I wanted to match their stage position. I'll mess with them more when I get the 2nd version up. Same with the trimming, I just exported the entire range of the song just to get it uploaded real quick. Really I only want one click in there. Or just start with the tom hit.

Made me check that I didn't mix 44khz files at 48khz lol, but my files and session are at 48. Could be that there is no delay changing the groove, and the reverb I did add I kept subtle. Except the chamber on the vocals. Not Sure really.

It will probably be tomorrow when I can open this song again and work on it. Thank you for giving me some ideas!

Support my video work!
Advertisement: