Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Enough - Setting Fire to Die Young - Updated - Mix 6
After listening to a few mixes and the library mix I felt that the guitar track was the sound I wanted to focus on the most to bring the mix into focus.

To that end I used a saturater on the guitar buss where split guitar tracks are voiced up and down 3 cents and panned full left and right with the original in the center. It got big and meaty which was what I was after.

From there it came together quickly. I could probably get more definition on individual instruments but I settled for thick and powerful.

What do you think?

-9.9 LUFS, 4.7 LU

The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix2a

This is my hurricane Dorian mix of Die Young. After some good pointers from listeners I made some needed adjustments. Let's hope it is an improvement from the first mix. What do you think?

-12.8 LUFS; 3.9 LU

The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix 5

I redid this mix completely and without the tracks.

The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix 6b

After listening to Godsmack's new album I wanted to apply some new ideas to this and this is the result. Nothing major but I believe an incremental improvement.

-9.8 LUFS; 4.6 LU

Thanks,
mITc

PS: Let's hear it for the Philly boys.

.mp3    The Great Enough - Die Young.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix 2a.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix 5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough - Die Young - Mix 6b.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I'm listening on different, less familiar earbuds at the moment so take my usual grain of salt with yet another grain of salt.
Personally I'm not a fan of the saturator because it feels like it adds a level of artificialness and brittleness (I think, I'm not happy with that choice of adjective) and makes me think it's an overall distortion and not something on the guitar alone. But I'll fully concede that might just be my ear and awareness of the effect. The average user wouldn't notice. I thing the micro pitching helps. Is it delayed as well? Maybe some rides on the solo sections?

Tonally it feels good. Certainly meaty. I do wish the snare had a little more crack to cut through all the meatiness. More salt on the steak, as it were. The bass is pretty big (at least on these earbuds) but the right size of big.

Vocals sound good. Besides the effect at the top I think it could use something else to maybe help it punctuate some sections or to help highlight the chorus more.

That's all that jumps out at me. Sounds really good with some minor thoughts. Good job.

(27-08-2019, 12:58 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm listening on different, less familiar earbuds at the moment so take my usual grain of salt with yet another grain of salt.
Personally I'm not a fan of the saturator because it feels like it adds a level of artificialness and brittleness (I think, I'm not happy with that choice of adjective) and makes me think it's an overall distortion and not something on the guitar alone. But I'll fully concede that might just be my ear and awareness of the effect. The average user wouldn't notice. I thing the micro pitching helps. Is it delayed as well? Maybe some rides on the solo sections?

Tonally it feels good. Certainly meaty. I do wish the snare had a little more crack to cut through all the meatiness. More salt on the steak, as it were. The bass is pretty big (at least on these earbuds) but the right size of big.

Vocals sound good. Besides the effect at the top I think it could use something else to maybe help it punctuate some sections or to help highlight the chorus more.

That's all that jumps out at me. Sounds really good with some minor thoughts. Good job.

Roy,
All good observations. The saturator does border more on the distortion side of things, but that is what I wanted for the otherwise 'too clean' guitar track against the buzz and meat of the track and the character of the lyric. As for delay, ostensibly there should be none but I cannot guarantee that in StudioOne. The guitar is duplicated and then pitch shifted. No intentional delay was added. It does sound as if there is something else going on with the tracks. I tried mightily to get more definition on the snare which includes a gate on the snare buss to eliminate the cymbal bleed. The snare bottom did not help much. I think to get more definition I will need to redo my gain structure and that is something I am not really looking forward to! As I stated I was lazy about definition on the track in general and to get it a redo of the gain structure will be necessary. This take is the organic growth from my initial ideas.

I did almost no automation on this and I think that is an oversight too. The vocal could be modulated through the arrangement so it sits better as the dynamics of the track change around it. Same can be said for the guitar.

Good ear and thanks for your time and comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(27-08-2019, 02:19 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(27-08-2019, 12:58 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm listening on different, less familiar earbuds at the moment so take my usual grain of salt with yet another grain of salt.

Roy,
All good observations. The saturator does border more on the distortion side of things, but that is what I wanted for the otherwise 'too clean' guitar track against the buzz and meat of the track and the character of the lyric. As for delay, ostensibly there should be none but I cannot guarantee that in StudioOne. The guitar is duplicated and then pitch shifted. No intentional delay was added. It does sound as if there is something else going on with the tracks. I tried mightily to get more definition on the snare which includes a gate on the snare buss to eliminate the cymbal bleed. The snare bottom did not help much. I think to get more definition I will need to redo my gain structure and that is something I am not really looking forward to! As I stated I was lazy about definition on the track in general and to get it a redo of the gain structure will be necessary. This take is the organic growth from my initial ideas.

I did almost no automation on this and I think that is an oversight too. The vocal could be modulated through the arrangement so it sits better as the dynamics of the track change around it. Same can be said for the guitar.

Good ear and thanks for your time and comments.
Cool. I mostly mentioned the delay because that's usually an element of that kind of faux eventide 519 micro pitch shift thing. Usually really,really short. I was just curious if it was something that was also happening, not something I was actually hearing.

I totally understand about not wanting to mess with the gain structure.

Anyway, all minor points. Good job.
Killer mix! I'm just checking this out on my small computer speakers and the only thing that really stands out is the vocal level seems like it could bit a bit higher, and I think the effect on the vocals could be less wet at the start of the song. I was just distracted when a few parts of the vocals sounded like they ducked in volume really quickly.
Imho almost all mix elements sound overprocessed. It might be good idea to upload mix without master bus processing, so it's easier to pinpoint the problem.
(04-09-2019, 01:16 PM)Friggy Wrote: Killer mix! I'm just checking this out on my small computer speakers and the only thing that really stands out is the vocal level seems like it could bit a bit higher, and I think the effect on the vocals could be less wet at the start of the song. I was just distracted when a few parts of the vocals sounded like they ducked in volume really quickly.

I probably could have done some more automation on the vocals in the few areas where it falls behind the ensemble.

Thanks for your listen and comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(04-09-2019, 02:00 PM)MakeMixingGreatAgain Wrote: Imho almost all mix elements sound overprocessed. It might be good idea to upload mix without master bus processing, so it's easier to pinpoint the problem.

Well it is pretty heavily processed but the power and context seemed to call for it from my point of view. Not a whole lot of nuance to this composition, it is just a power trio doing what they do best; hit hard and take names. But yes, it could have less processing on it, less compression, less saturation on the lead guitar, less of everything.

Thanks for the listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]