Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Hope and the sea - in the box mix by Jente
Hello fellow Mixing Engineers!!!

I've been away for a little while but came across this awesome song. I couldn't wait to start mixing this one. I've put quite some dedication into this one.

As quite a beginner I would love to hear some good critiques Smile

Credits to the musicians!!!

Edit: Mix 2 added, especially focused on the guitars and the space of the mix.
Edit 2: Mix 3 added, focussed on snare drum, bass and some minor guitar changes, also added a delay on the sax to give it some more dimension in the mix. Backing vocals also have changed slightly, still very unhappy with those tho but yea

.mp3    Hope and the Sea Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

.mp3    Hope and the Sea Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 19.72 MB)

.mp3    Hope and the Sea Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 19.72 MB)

Not bad. Not bad at all. Good tone throughout the song. I do have some concerns and comments though. I do like the environment you created for the drums but I am hearing some pumping on the cymbals as a result of what appears to be pretty restrictive compression on them. I am not hearing the expressiveness of the player in your drum treatment. Every snare hit sounds like every other one but that doesn't reflect the dynamics of the player, IMHO. That also results in the bass guitar, which has some very expressive phrases in the various breaks, to be lost behind the kit. Your guitar treatments and vocals are spot on. I would like to hear the guitar come up against the sax at the end where they trade phrases. I established my levels in that section by balancing the parts in mono. Pretty good, overall.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(29-08-2019, 02:10 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not bad. Not bad at all. Good tone throughout the song. I do have some concerns and comments though. I do like the environment you created for the drums but I am hearing some pumping on the cymbals as a result of what appears to be pretty restrictive compression on them. I am not hearing the expressiveness of the player in your drum treatment. Every snare hit sounds like every other one but that doesn't reflect the dynamics of the player, IMHO. That also results in the bass guitar, which has some very expressive phrases in the various breaks, to be lost behind the kit. Your guitar treatments and vocals are spot on. I would like to hear the guitar come up against the sax at the end where they trade phrases. I established my levels in that section by balancing the parts in mono. Pretty good, overall.

Thanks dude, yeah I can totally agree with your comments. I've compressed the snare quite hard and was also really struggling with the snare throughout the song. So something to keep in mind Smile. I only applied some parallel compression to the drum kit, am not sure if this is the reason for the pumping, will take a look at that. Furthermore there is 0 compression on the overheads whatsoever.

The guitars definitely have to be up in volume in the end. I also heard that after checking the mix again today Smile

There will be a new version up soon, like to hear your feedback on that one!