Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Pills
Hello everyone,

So I've not really done grunge before. To be honest it's not really my cup of tea.

I mixed this sucker at a low volume so I didn't hurt my ears. The temptation to crank this was there, that's for sure. I'm a little worried that my guitars are too loud now it's bounced, but there's nothing else really to fill the space. I don't know. Happy for suggestions.

Comment!

** Edit **

M1.2

I've quickly adjusted things so there isn't as much top end energy and made things a little less compressed, and a little more present.

.mp3    Candlebox_Happy PillsM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

.mp3    Candlebox_Happy PillsM1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

~
Other Mixes
hey Quathamer! This is a really good mix in my opinion, cool low end, its sort of dynamic and punchy and sounds powerfull. The guitars are really good in volume also i think. Nicely done!
(23-08-2019, 08:49 AM)crownoise Wrote: hey Quathamer! This is a really good mix in my opinion, cool low end, its sort of dynamic and punchy and sounds powerfull. The guitars are really good in volume also i think. Nicely done!

Yeah Awesome, thanks mate.

Yeah, I was really unsure about the guitars. I usually mix guitars really harsh and present as they are accompanying many other elements, wherein this particular genre I felt like if I was to do them the same way because it's such a guitar-driven track, the guitars would make the whole mix very harsh and hard to listen to overtime. So I opted for a more rounded, airy and constant guitar rather than harsh and dynamic. I think maybe now my hears have adjusted there is perhaps too much high-end energy.

Thanks for the comments mate!
~
Other Mixes
I think the whole thing feels a bit over compressed and I think the guitars are what's triggering it the most. They feel like they're pushing everything. Tonally they're certainly not harsh. Overall the eq of the mix works. I can turn it up without it hurting but at the same time it still feels fatiguing.
Yeah, I agree. The Ear fatiguing would be coming from the overload of high energy I would say as well.
~
Other Mixes
The Second mix is very good. Lots of articulation and top end content. The vocals are a bit dry and get lost under the mix, but this is grunge rock and not pop so it comes down to preference. Snare is a bit thonky and cloingy, but overall the drum mix is pretty good.
(25-08-2019, 10:10 PM)LightYearRecords11 Wrote: The Second mix is very good. Lots of articulation and top end content. The vocals are a bit dry and get lost under the mix, but this is grunge rock and not pop so it comes down to preference. Snare is a bit thonky and cloingy, but overall the drum mix is pretty good.

Thanks mate, that's really great feedback. And I agree with all your points. Snare was a little tricky because I wanted that grungy vibe but also a nice attack as a snare should. I could probably reign in the low-mid crunch on it to get rid of a bit of the chonk.
~
Other Mixes