Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like You Do
Seeing as I spent more than I wanted, thought I'd post it here

.mp3    Like You Do - The Western Den.mp3 --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

Great mix,my only thing i would like is the toms up a bit .Nice vox but slightly too separated from the rest.bit more verb to blend in a touch more maybe .Good work mate
I tried it with a bit of parallel reverb lx480 hall. I think the vox sit in the mix better .
Just an idea,hope you didn't mind

.mp3    verb.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

(19-08-2019, 03:17 PM)mixingonamission Wrote: Seeing as I spent more than I wanted, thought I'd post it here

I'm glad you did, I really liked this mix.

I don't entirely agree with Takka though, but I understand where he's coming from. It's a challenge with all the Telefunken vocal tracks due to the characteristics of the dynamic mic's, that placing the vocalist in with the musicians can be difficult to resolve.

It's the relationship between the direct and indirect sound that needs working on, so there's a sense of space around her voice which doesn't come with the recording because it's as dry as a bone. The verb you have here, as subtle as it is, doesn't project the same space (as nice as it is on it's own).

Simply dropping a verb emu on top won't address this because it risks creating another room with spatial cues which contradicts all the spatial cues from the other elements (cross-talk gives the cues). You need to be able to replicate this signature and put her in the space with appropriate paramaters.

When you do, this will be nothing short of perfection in headphones (DT 880 Pro's). I've no idea how it currently translates over boxes, but frankly I don't care 'cos I'm loving this too much right now!!! Big Grin

Keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Hello Mixingonamission,

Yeah, you know what, I actually dig this mix as it is. I think the toms where they are are fine, the drums aren't the feature in this song, but I will say there are some overtones in the drums you could wrestle a little bit to make it less ear-fatiguing. Also, I really liked how you jacked up the effects on the vocals at the end there. Good idea.

The only real criticism I have on the mix as a whole is not the tones you pulled or the reverb - I don't think the vocal needs so much verb so I think the amount you put on is good - but I would say that I would like to hear a little more space in the mix. But before you read too much into what I say - this session makes it incredibly hard to create that space due to how much bleed there is in the tracks, the end result is an ear fatiguing mix and lots of 400hz across the board (400hz is the boxy woody room noise that makes drums sound like cardboard boxes). Because 400-500hz is essential in the strings/horns lines, its only inevitable that once they are faded up, the drums are going to sound like cardboard boxes.

All in all, I think this is a good mix, but that's just my opinion. Its a tough session to mix, but surprisingly fun (my first attempt I didn't have much fun though).
~
Other Mixes
thanks guys for all the comments and time to listen and write. I did wrestle with the verb a fair bit and made it drier in the chorus so that the drum bleed didn't smear the close mics, originally I had it quite a bit wetter. I think it's just the fact that I don't like the room/s they record these sessions in so I tried to remove as much as I could.

all good stuff being discussed here so thanks for your compliments and tweak ideas