Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelations Whoosh
Hi all,

My first mix here after discovering this site thanks to our soundguy. Looking forward to your opinions Smile It's a nice tune!

.mp3    Streetnoise Revelations2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

Welcome to the fun. Very nice overall balance. The vocal sounds very good to me. I find myself wanting to hear a little more space with the guitar tracks.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Thanks! I hear you, I was kind of in between having the other guitar panned or center.
I really like that mix, it's clear and rocking! The guitars are very well defined.
Thank you, I'll probably go back to it and seperate the guitars a bit better sonically, I do quite enjoy the way they sit in the stereo image.
(27-10-2013, 11:38 PM)whoosh Wrote: Hi all,

My first mix here after discovering this site thanks to our soundguy. Looking forward to your opinions Smile It's a nice tune!

Have to be honest. Not a big fan of this one, at least not as it stands right now. However, I think the skeleton of a good mix is here with a few tweaks.

First, the whole thing sounds a wee bit squeezed, like someone took the whole song and sandwiched it between two sheets of drywall. Whatever's happening is also amping up the noise quite a bit, too, particularly in the beginning and end. Sounds to me like you're using compression in your master buss; if so I'd back it down a notch. In fact, this kind of music, I find, doesn't benefit much from overall compression; it just squeezes the life out of it. I'd either dump it entirely or use a much gentler setting, say no more than 3:1 (2:1) would be better) with a high threshold, 10-15 dB.

Second, the vocal sounds rather muddy, which is surprising given that the vocal on the original track was nice and crisp. I think maybe you might've overdone the reverb on it a bit; that can make vocals a little muddy. Also, the overly sharp lead guitar might be masking some of the vocal's high midrange which might account for some of the muddiness, too.

I do like the overall balance, though, and I really liked how you made the bongos "pop." Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince